Author Topic: BRASH in and near Abercorn  (Read 12838 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BRASH in and near Abercorn
« Reply #45 on: Friday 20 July 18 23:03 BST (UK) »
 The surname Bartie derives from Bartholemew, found in Angus? & sounds like Barclay!

Skoosh.

Offline Southpaw58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 27 July 18 00:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Skoosh.  The number of name variants seem to go far broader than I had originally envisaged.  Appreciate the insight.

Offline Stramash

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 28 January 21 04:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I am another new user.
My direct line is from the Paterson & Cunningham line of Broxburn in early 1800's. Before that, Paterson in Edinburgh and Cunningham in Kirkliston. Thus the Brash association. Yes, I do have some confusion with the Abercorn to Leith sides within the Brash line.
I am one of the Paterson's that landed in Australia.
The note about David Brash's son John being transported, I have found a few Brash members who took a free voyage!
Firstly there is a John Brash, sentenced in Queensferry near Abercorn. Have docs.
Also a Jean or Jane Brash aka Speirs who states an association with Speirs in US or Canada. Sentenced in Edinburgh. Multiple theft events.
Then three with close family associated names, Walter, David, and Thomas. All sentenced in Edinburgh.
This is between 1838 and 1850. Have docs.
Appears they eventually received their 'ticket-of-leave' or pardon.
Also, I have information on an Alexander Brash, merchant who drowned in Newcastle harbour (NSW) ~1860. He was travelling from Sydney to Brisbane, or vise versa. I found this because the Harbour Master who tried to save them is also a relative. Click and click.
Alexander is definitely one of the Brash family from Leith, as the associated Rollo family placed a memorial about the incident in a Scottish paper.
So if anyone is able to help, or I can assist others, I am happy to try.
I still have a few loose ends with the Paterson line, and others. Cunningham'swere marrying Paterson's well before Theo. John and Helen got together, but I haven't linked John to that line.
I also have a lot of information on John Mills (Milne), brother of Elizabeth Mills (Milne) who married James Paterson. John Mills came to both New Zealand and Australia around 1870, returning to Scotland around 1882. I have his bible, which he has written in, which is actually his father's bible. He states he, 'has been working for the divil and needs change'.
So my focus is the Paterson & Cunningham line and their spouses, also the Stevenson family and the blacksmith family of Taylor, both Broxburn. Paterson, Taylor, and Stevenson boys all married three Foggo girls.
Yet to learn the in's-and-out's of the site, but trying.
Regards,
Stramash

Offline MelbourneKB

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 27 September 22 11:01 BST (UK) »
Hello, I am a new member and am a direct relative of John Brash and Jannet Thorntoun, who had David, who had Thomas who had Alice.  Alice Lumsden nee Brash had Alice Brash Lumsden who was my great, great grandmother on my father's mother's side.  I have recently discovered that Alice's only brother lived close by to where I live and is buried in a nearby cemetery.  I have been fascinated by the Brash's!!!  I am also going to dig back into the Lumsden line, plus others.  So, I am what happened to John and Jannet Brash!  and while I am in Australia, the name Janet has come down through the line, with one of my cousins bearing the name.