Author Topic: Help finding Marriage of Sml Wm Davies & Dthy Phillips  (Read 3750 times)

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Maternity Records
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 17 December 16 18:29 GMT (UK) »
The maternity hospital records are held by Wirral archives.

Mike

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 18 December 16 00:17 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage in the June quarter 1930 in West Bromwich of a Samuel Davies and Dorothy Phillips:

Marriages Jun 1930
Davies  Samuel  Phillips  W. Bromwich  6b 1979   
Phillips  Dorothy  Davies  W.Bromwich  6b 1979

It is possible they married after the birth of Dennis. Have you purchased this marriage certificate? Is this where you saw their ages as "full"?

Yes I have that marriage certificate but I can't prove if its him or not, there is nothing conclusive one way or another. I don't believe its him tho.

Regarding the full ages comment I made, please disregard it, I actually don't have any certificates that mention their ages as being "full", must have got muddled up.

I could post a picture of the certificate, are we allowed to do that?

You would probably need to do a bit more digging to see if there are more couples with the same names marrying in a similar time frame, but if your grandfather's parents are named as Samuel Davies and Dorothy Phillips on his birth certificate, I would have thought this marriage has a reasonable chance of being the right one?

Dorothy is not a hugely common name, and especially considering her surname and the husband's name being correct, it looks promising.

What are the ages of this Dorothy and Samuel when they married in 1930?

What leads you to think it is the wrong marriage?

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 18 December 16 06:22 GMT (UK) »
going by when I've seen maternity records for 20-30 years ago they are not as detailed as the ones these days.

Current ones do have dates of birth of the parents on them.
A lot of the older ones consist of time the woman came in in labour, drugs given and time of birth coupled with weight and resuistation of the baby and thats pretty much it - some midwives write more than others so you may get more

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 18 December 16 07:35 GMT (UK) »
Looking for maternity records seems a bit of a roundabout way to go about this (if what you are looking for is the ages of his parents) if you already have his birth certificate, and possibly his parent's marriage certificate. As already mentioned, the 1939 register shows their ages does it not? Are you able to share this information with us?

What are the father's names on the "incorrect" marriage certificate?

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 18 December 16 08:26 GMT (UK) »
The age of Samuel in 1939 matches that of the Samuel William Davies who died in Blackpool in 1981 (Ancestry)
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 31 December 16 01:01 GMT (UK) »
Looking for maternity records seems a bit of a roundabout way to go about this (if what you are looking for is the ages of his parents) if you already have his birth certificate, and possibly his parent's marriage certificate. As already mentioned, the 1939 register shows their ages does it not? Are you able to share this information with us?

What are the father's names on the "incorrect" marriage certificate?

I agree.

If you search the 1939 register for Dennis Davies  DOB 24.12.1928  there is only one hit. 
The household in Oldham C.B., Lancashire, has three people (I don't have a subscription so haven't viewed the page), Dennis Davies, Samuel D Davies (born c1902), and Frances (Ernest) Davies (also born c1902).
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 31 December 16 01:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everybody. I have found my answer to my original post elsewhere but in case anybody is interested to look, here are all the details I have for my grandfather...

Dennis Noel Davies born 24/12/28 to Samuel William Davies and Dorothy Phillips in Grange Mount Maternity hospital Birkenhead. Samuels occupation is listed as a "motor wagon Driver"

Does it really say the parents are Samuel William Davies and Dorothy Phillips,

Or Samuel William Davies and Dorothy Davies previously Phillips?

I also don't understand why you don't think the 1930 marriage cert is correct? Something family mentioned to you, a feeling?  :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 31 December 16 09:55 GMT (UK) »
I think you are correct in doubting the 1930 marriage. There are a couple of Davies mmn Phillips births in West Bromwich - one in 1935 and one in 1944 ( freeBMD) and there is a Samuel and Dorothy Davies living in West Bromwich in 1939 ( with one redacted family member) who are likely to be the couple who married in 1930.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Mamsoth

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Help finding Marriage of Sml Wm Davies & Dthy Phillips
« Reply #26 on: Friday 10 February 17 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Really struggling to find any mention whatsoever of a marriage between these people...

Samuel William Davies (b 23/3/1902. Oldham)
Dorothy Phillips (b 1905 give or take 1 year. Rock ferry Birkenhead)

The marriage would have most likely taken place in Birkenhead or the greater Cheshire area. There is an outside chance that the marriage took place elsewhere (in an unknown location).

I have the date of the wedding as 27/8/1921 (according to Samuels attestation papers in ww2).

Can anyone help?

Thanks