Author Topic: Euphemia LAING, died Coull 1835  (Read 7747 times)

Offline Periwinkled

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Euphemia LAING, died Coull 1835
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 12 May 18 15:59 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the delayed reply.  Although Francis Smith is named as the reputed father of my ancestor there is enough conflict in the official documents which leads me to doubt the truth of this.

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Previously known as "neb_maat_re".
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 13 May 18 11:04 BST (UK) »
No problems at all.

Have you or anyone in the family had a DNA test with Ancestry, FamilyTreeDNA or MyHeritage?

Apart from my sister, our uncle and myself, I have identified DNA matches with 4 other descendants of Francis' brother George.  I have not identified a DNA match with a descendant of any of Francis and George's siblings.

Offline Periwinkled

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 13 May 18 11:14 BST (UK) »
Interesting.  I may investigate that as the known line trails out into presumed relatives  but not clear if sisters, cousins or more distant.

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 21 January 19 01:25 GMT (UK) »
I appear to have found (stumbled across, actually) an earlier child for William & Euphemia.

In 1822 at old Machar, Robert Fiddes marries Margaret Smith.

When Margaret Fiddes also indexed as Margaret Smith dies in Aberdeen in 1866 age recorded as 67, her parents are recorded as William Smith, farmer in Leochel-Cushnie and Effie Laing (both deceased).

The 1851 census shows Margaret Fiddes wife of Robert as 53 and born in Leochel.

I have not found a baptism for Margaret Smith, but it seems to me that "Effie" Laing is likely to be Euphemia.

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 21 January 19 01:39 GMT (UK) »
Based on the possible reference to Euphemia Laing as "Effie" on the death registration for Margaret Fiddes nee Smith, I think a very good candidate for Euphemia is:

Ephie Laing, baptised 1774 in Tarland & Migvie, father George Laing.

There is a marriage of George Laing to Jean Ewan in Tarland & Migvie on 27 June 1773.

Other children for George Laing baptised in Tarland & Migvie appear to be John (1777), Christian (1779), Jean (1781) & William (1784)

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 21 January 19 01:46 GMT (UK) »
A plausible candidate for Euphemia's husband William appears to be:

William Smith, baptised 1771 in Tough, parents Peter Smith and Margaret Cocker.

Other children baptised in Tough to Peter Smith and Margaret Cocker I have found are Thomas (1767) and John (1774).

I have not found a marriage for Peter Smith and Margaret Cocker.

I am not sure how I would ever confirm this is the right William, and I still have not found a marriage for William Smith and Euphemia Laing.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 21 January 19 10:31 GMT (UK) »
it seems to me that "Effie" Laing is likely to be Euphemia.
Yes. Effie is a standard contraction of Euphemia. so I'd say you are right.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline mowhit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 20 January 21 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello I have just found out that my 2nd great grand-aunt, Margaret Smith married to Robert Fiddes was daughter to William Smith, farmer at Loanhead Leochel Cushnie and Effy Laing. It states it on her death certificate as she died 21 Nov 1866. Her sister was Elizabeth Smith who was married to Alexander Clerihue living in Tullynessle. Both these women had sons who joined the ministery, Alexander Clerihew born 27.Dec 1820 and John Fiddes born 25 Mar 1823. The Smith family were very religious and appeared to have been married or had children baptised at Old Machar but this is because there was a famous preacher Dr Kidd who was an evangelist who was a preacher at Gilcomston Chapel of Ease Old Machar district.
My second great grandfather was William Smith who died at Skene 30 Jul 1852. He was born in Leochel Cushnie and was 68 when he died. This puts his birth in 1784.He married Mary Milne at Old Machar in 1818. I think he is very closely related to Margaret and Elizabeth above. Margaret was born 1799. Elizabeth born 1781 puts her a bit too early.
I think William married to Euphemia may have been born 12 May 1771 to Peter Smith and Margaret Cocker.
I did find a Euphemia Laing born 31 Oct 1754 to Andrew Laing and Elizabeth Shewan but that seems too early.

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 07 February 21 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi mowhit.

I have only just seen your post.

William Smith and Euphemia Liang had a daughter named Elspet Smith born in Leochel-Cushnie in 1814. Elspet married James Dustan in two ceremonies in 1834, the first in Lumphanan and the second in Leochel-Cushnie.  They had five sons. I am not certain what happened to Elspet, but her husband and sons arrived in the US before 1850.

Elspet is a form of Elizabeth and I would be surprised if William and Euphemia had one daughter named Elizabeth and one daughter named Elspet who both lived to adulthood.

Why do you think that the Elizabeth Smith who marries Andrew Clerihew is the sister of Margaret and therefore the daughter of William and Euphemia?