Author Topic: 'transported' - William Woodham circa 1830  (Read 3617 times)

Offline valerie kehoe

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 'transported' - William Woodham circa 1830
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 17 December 16 00:15 GMT (UK) »
On 'Genes Reunited' it shows William Woodham b 1798 Wiltshire being in 'Institutions' from 1819 and again 1829-30  (Wilts). 
Also shows a possible death for this William Woodham b1798 Wiltshire in 1853 at Marlborough (Wilts) - same place as one of his Prison locations.

Valerie
Lond.//Kent/Surrey  Bryan  
Cork (Dunmanway) O'Brien
London//Lambeth    Small   Muggeridge 
L'pool /Preston.       Kehoe  McDonough  Coupe  
Suffolk                     Rowe   Mortimer   Mowle

Offline dtcoulson

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 17 December 16 01:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Majm. Interesting reading in these links.  -DC

Offline dtcoulson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 17 December 16 04:25 GMT (UK) »
I have to ask the question:

did convicts transported to Australia (etc) for seven year sentences ever return to their homes in England? I always assumed that a trip back from the other side of the world would be too expensive for the typical ex-con to afford. Would this be the case or did folks frequently make it back, to appear in the census years later in life?

-DC

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 17 December 16 04:32 GMT (UK) »
Some returned, but they had to pay their own fare back, and they were NOT eligible to return if they had received a Conditional Pardon as the condition usually was that they did not return to Britain.

Here's a reliable link :

http://members.iinet.net.au/~perthdps/convicts/res-11.html

Leaving the Colony
 Convicts could leave the colonies after their sentences were completed or after being granted an Absolute Pardon. Departures were announced in the Sydney Gazette's 'Notice of Intent' column. Some went to work on trading, whaling and fishing vessels while others returned to England. Those released on Conditional Pardons were not allowed to return to England or Ireland.

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 17 December 16 04:42 GMT (UK) »
According to England & Wales, Criminal Registers, 1791-1892 a William WOODHAM was tried at the Lent Assizes, Wiltshire (held in Salisbury) 1829 for larceny and received a sentence of 12 months imprisonment.  This is probably the conviction mentioned by Valerie Kehoe above, Reply#9.

It's probable that the information on the baptism record (re William, the husband, having been 'transported') would have been supplied by the child's mother or have been known by the minister; possibly the fact that William had been convicted, imprisoned and (perhaps) not returned to Easton led to a belief that he had been transported rather than imprisoned in England.

I can see the baptism for James on FamilySearch but only as an index entry.  I am not seeing it on FreeReg.  Is it actually on FindMyPast?

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dtcoulson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 17 December 16 04:47 GMT (UK) »
Here is the source of the 'transported' remark:

http://www.wiltshire-opc.org.uk/Items/Easton%20Royal/Easton%20Royal%20-%20Baptisms%201801-1837.pdf

Easton Royal - Baptisms 1801-1837

Baptism record says (of James' parents) "husband transported,not father of child"

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 17 December 16 05:14 GMT (UK) »
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:J3RM-JYM  baptism 10 March 1833.
Yes, only the index entry, not an image of the original parish register  :-\  :-\ .   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 17 December 16 05:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the link to Wiltshire OPC - I forget to look for OPC records as they can be a bit hit and miss, but this particular transcript is excellent. And I should remember as I did quite an amount of transcribing for Mere some time ago  :(

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 17 December 16 05:47 GMT (UK) »
Re : William WOODHAM and the Application to Marry and further info

The image shows the application was dated in 1842.  The application was granted.  They married 21st March 1842.  The groom’s age was 23, and the bride’s age was 24. 

Re William's bride : Her name was recorded as Bridget McGRATH.  She had arrived per the ship Margaret in 1839, under a sentence.   

Re William
He had arrived per the ship Hope. 

They were married at St John's C of E, Parramatta, Rev H H Bobart.   William WOODHAM was a bachelor, and he signed his name.   Bridget McGrath was a widow and she made her mark.

The bride’s 27 July 1845 Certificate of Freedom shows as wife of William WOODHAM her living with her husband, in King St, Sydney, NSW.   

The municipal electoral rolls for King Street, Sydney for 1845 show William WOODHAM in King Street Sydney. 

http://www.bda-online.org.au/

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=369703.0

JM  :)  Posted same on the other thread too.