Author Topic: Isabel or Isabella Dunbar born about 1833 Scotland  (Read 7852 times)

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Isabel or Isabella Dunbar born about 1833 Scotland
« Reply #27 on: Monday 02 January 17 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestions.  A new search finds a birth for an Isobel Lipp 03/06/1792 in Cairnie parish.

If she was married to William Bain in 1797, she's unlikely to have been born in 1792...  :D

There's an Isabel Lipp born 26 Sep 1773 in Drumblade, Aberdeenshire, to Alexander Lipp - but a more likely candidate in my view would be Isobel Lip, born 19 Jun 1779, Botriphnie, Banffshire to John Lip and Elspet Steinson. It would have made her just 18 when she married, but not beyond the bounds of possibly - especially if you consider that Margaret was born only four months after the marriage... ;)  Also both Elspet and John appear as names for William and Isobel's children, which, whilst not definitive proof, tends to sway the odds in my view.

William Bain is a bit trickier - I can see three possibilities in Moray:

William Bain, 13 Nov 1770, Knockando, Moray, to William Bain and Isobel Smith
William Bain, 12 Sep 1777, Drainie, Moray, to William Bain
William Bain, 19 Jun 1768, Elgin, Moray, to Ronald Bain and Sarah Ferguson

On the Dunbar side, I can see only one possibility for Anna Barber:

Anna Barber, 9 Oct 1775, Keith, Banffshire to John Barber and Margaret Turner

But John Dunbar is a whole other problem - I can see two in Fordyce in Banffshire and one in Clatt, Aberdeenshire - but there are a lot of Dunbars in Moray... Seems this must be the Dunbar heartland... ;D at least half a dozen Johns around the right time...

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Great feedback Ruth:

Looks like Botriphnie is not too far from the marriage location either and the age thing makes sense.

I found a couple more folks on another site that seem to have a similar tree and I have reached out to them to "compare notes" and see what they may have.  I will post any new leads here.

Dave
Dunbar, Clark,Bain, Lipp, Campbell, Pope, Barnard, Handcock, McAdams,Creath

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 04 January 17 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Cairnie parish ....
This parish seems very close to Keith  About 10Km from what I see.
It is actually the next-door parish, though Cairnie/Cairney is in Aberdeenshire and Keith is in Banffshire.

I notice that Keith is a rather larger town/village that Cairnie so a marriage in 1797 in Keith does make sense.  At least to me ;-)
No. A marriage normally took place in the bride's parish of residence, so it is much more likely that she had moved to Keith to live or to take up employment than that she chose to get married in Keith because it was a bigger place. The marriage entry will say if one of the couple was not resident in the parish.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline LeanneRogers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 17 March 17 01:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi there - Isabella was my husband's g-g-g-grandmother.  I have photos of Isabella Dunbar and George Barnard as well as one Margaret Dunbar, Isabella's mother. Photos are too large to attach.  I'm not sure how I can get these to you.  Thoughts?

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 17 March 17 02:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the contact regarding the images

Very interested to see the images you have.

I have many images that are unnamed that were from my grandmother, Lavina Barnard.  Likely some are relatives but so far they remain unknown.  I have all scanned and would be able to compare with images you have.

I attempted to direct message you but the system reports your inbox is full.  Will try again tomorrow in case the error was a system glitch

Offline LeanneRogers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 17 March 17 02:41 GMT (UK) »
I have a photo listed as Lavina Barnard Pope with husband (Goerge? Charles? John?) and children (labelled "The Popes").  I registered on this site solely to talk to you, so can't imagine why my inbox would be full.  Trying to figure this out.  Are you on FB?

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 17 March 17 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Leanne

Once you've made three posts to the forum, you'll be able to send and receive PMs.

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 17 March 17 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Lavina Barnard  married Charles Clark Pope 22 Jan 1902 in or near Wroxeter, Ontario

Around 1915-16 he moved to London and built a home for the family in what is now called Old South.  He built a second home next to it around 1925. 

We understand he built other homes in the area but sadly all his blueprints and other plans were thrown out a number of years ago by his daughter or son.

Here is the only image I have of Charles Clark Pope.  Likely taken later in life.  Made it a PDF so size would work on this site

Once I can DM you I will send direct contact info

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 18 March 17 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Leanne:

Which one of Isabella and George A Barnard's  8 children that survived to adulthood is your husband descended from? 

I have fairly good trees for some of the children but others have significant gaps.

Dave