Author Topic: Isabel or Isabella Dunbar born about 1833 Scotland  (Read 7837 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Isabel or Isabella Dunbar born about 1833 Scotland
« Reply #18 on: Monday 19 December 16 23:12 GMT (UK) »
No death for John Dunbar but he must have come to Canada in 1840's given a child of 15 born in Canada is on 1851 census.

In this case he must have arrived in Canada 1830's?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 19 December 16 23:15 GMT (UK) »
These might be births for your John Dunbar and Margaret Bain:

Margaret Bain b. 13 Jan 1798, Keith, Banffshire to William Bain and Isobel Lipp (m. 23 Sep 1797, Keith).

John Dunbar b. 25 Sep 1797, Keith, Banffshire to John Dunbar and Anne Barber (m. 5 Mar 1797, Keith).

Neither set of parents seem to have made it to 1841 - at least not in Keith - but Margaret Bain had at least 8 siblings that I can see, so you might be able to track some of them down. I can only see two siblings for John Dunbar - a brother, James, and a sister, Anna.

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Haymon, Baker, Corke, Cooley, Ginger - Kent/London.

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 19 December 16 23:30 GMT (UK) »
I had found the Shaw connection but was unsure of family after marriage.  Moving to Michigan makes sense .

The Shaws are in Huron in the 1871 census with three children - and with Margaret's mother, Margaret Dunbar, aged 70. By 1881, they are in Bay City, Michigan.

I can see a death for Margaret Dunbar in Wroxeter, Huron, Ontario on 5 Jan 1890, aged 94 - registered by her son-in-law, George Barnard.

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Haymon, Baker, Corke, Cooley, Ginger - Kent/London.

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 31 December 16 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the great feedback.  The leads are very solid and it looks like I have the correct family now.

Any suggestions on finding marriages for any of the parents?  Scotland's People did not reveal anything.

I have had no success finding a death or burial in Canada for John Dunbar Birth 25 SEP 1797  Keith, Banffshire, Scotland.  A search for Margaret Bain burial has also yielded no results.  I have been at the cemetery in Wroxeter but no Margaret found.  Odd since she passed there and other relatives are there.  Looking for a possible abandoned cemetery.

All the best for 2017!  Happy New Year!
Dunbar, Clark,Bain, Lipp, Campbell, Pope, Barnard, Handcock, McAdams,Creath

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 31 December 16 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Any suggestions on finding marriages for any of the parents?  Scotland's People did not reveal anything.

Do you mean the parents of John Dunbar and Margaret Bain that I posted above ^^^ ? I can see both of them on SP - William Bain and Isobel Lipp m. 23 Sep 1797, Keith, Banffshire; and John Dunbar and Anna Barber m. 5 Mar 1797, Keith, Banffshire - or am I missing something? Wouldn't be the first time  :D ;D

Ruth

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 01 January 17 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ruth:

I had the details on both parents, thanks to you, but I did not find them on Scotland's People to try and obtain a marriage Bann or other document that might have shown their parents.

I will search again as I must have made an error in my search criteria.

Happy New Year!

Dave

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 01 January 17 14:42 GMT (UK) »
I had the details on both parents, thanks to you, but I did not find them on Scotland's People to try and obtain a marriage Bann or other document that might have shown their parents.
Those marriage records will not tell you the names of their parents.

I will search again as I must have made an error in my search criteria.
Jusr us one of the couple's names, not both.

Happy New Year!
And to you and everyone else.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 01 January 17 15:10 GMT (UK) »

As Forfarian says, you're unlikely to find any details of their parents in the parish records. I've seen it very rarely for marriages, and where I have, it's only the father. Witnesses at baptisms can sometimes help in identifying other family members - at least on the male side of the family  ;D

Isobel Lipp shouldn't be too difficult to find (I've also seen it spelled Lippe), as it's quite an unusual name, but the others might be trickier.

Ruth

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 01 January 17 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestions.  A new search finds a birth for an Isobel Lipp 03/06/1792 in Cairnie parish.  No other birth results from the approximate time period I chose 1775-1798.

This parish seems very close to Keith  About 10Km from what I see.  I notice that Keith is a rather larger town/village that Cairnie so a marriage in 1797 in Keith does make sense.  At least to me ;-)

Parents listed as JAMES LIPP/JANE FETTES. If correct my 4th great grandparents

The only other record that appears is the marriage to William Bain.

This looks promising