Author Topic: M Spooner RMS Empress of Ireland disaster  (Read 3882 times)

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
Re: M Spooner RMS Empress of Ireland disaster
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 18 December 16 20:59 GMT (UK) »
You can contact the RBCM and request a quote:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01j3g/

The subject on Wills in British Columbia was covered recently in another RootsChat thread. You might find it interesting to read through it:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=760425.0

I see you have posted this M Spooner thread in Durham Lookup Requests. I hadn't noticed that before since it was the Empress of Ireland that caught my eye. If you have further questions regarding your family in Vancouver you might want to post on the Canada page. There are a number of researchers who will have other ideas for sources that could help you.

sami  :)
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 18 December 16 21:02 GMT (UK) »
As I was looking up information for you, I noticed that one of the survivors from the disaster was Captain Rufus Spooner, a member of the Salvation Army Band.

Was he related to your Spooners?

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline swanandprasad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 19 December 16 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sami.
No known relation. He isn't from NE England so any relationship will probably be distant.

Sami where did you access that 1911 census you gave. Is it behind a paywall.
Just wondering if i am missing a public source.

I found some of those Spooners on another 1911 Census on FamilySearch but it didn't have a photo so some of the details (years since emigration) were not included. So i was looking for the photo
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:27XY-4V5
Harbison, Harbinson, Summerson, Lowery, Spooner, Gale, Hunter, Blakey, Leighton, Ridley, Durham, Newcastle, Co. Down, McArthur, Urquhart, Sangster, Prior, Aberdeen

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 19 December 16 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Well done Sami. :) Nice work on figuring out that street name.

You can access for free (except 1921) Canadian census' from Library and Archives Canada,
left side of page, click on the year you wish to peruse.
http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/Pages/census.aspx

Cheers,
DB

Offline swanandprasad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 19 December 16 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks dbree.
Now i realise i have been there before but forgot. So thanks again.
Harbison, Harbinson, Summerson, Lowery, Spooner, Gale, Hunter, Blakey, Leighton, Ridley, Durham, Newcastle, Co. Down, McArthur, Urquhart, Sangster, Prior, Aberdeen

Offline DawnPowell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 08 October 18 12:03 BST (UK) »
Swanandprasad  - I've only just discovered rootschat and this post is a couple of years old so you may have already got your answer.  Ralph Spooner married Mary Smith 21 Jun 1906 in Winnipeg, Manitoba.  Do you have a copy of the Empress of Ireland Passenger list?  I have it if you don't.  I believe from other posts of yours you are descended from Jane Ann Spooner who is my 4th great aunt.  I am descended from her brother Ralph 1815 and his son George 1837.  His son George 1874 - 1940 was my great grandfather and he travelled on the Empress of Ireland in 1911 to work for a few months at the mines at Nanaimo, Vancouver.  I presume we are cousins.
Regards
Dawn
Spooner  Powell  Cave  Underwood  Ford  Baigent

Offline swanandprasad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 11:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Dawn,
yes we are a distant cousins.
Ralph Spooner and Mary Hunter were my 3rd great grandparents.
I don't have much on Mary Smith only her date of death in the disaster and nothing on her children or her parents.
In fact i have no children for Ralph from any of his 3 wives.
It would be good to get in touch to share info.
I got my info from Alan Hilton (who gave Mary Smith's first name as Margaret) and free on-line BC and Canadian websites.
I only have the passenger list from here
http://sea-viewdiving.com/shipwreck_info/empress_home/passengerlist/page17.htm
The only thing i have on your great grandparents George and Elizabeth Belshaw is from the 1901 and 1901 Census's which gives three children and their marriage (quarter only). Ralph isn't with his family on 1911 census which is explained by your info of him travelling to Canada in 1911.
Please get in touch firstly here swamianandprasad[at]yahoo.com