Author Topic: The Wright Family  (Read 1654 times)

Offline lorribelle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Wright Family
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 08 October 20 10:17 BST (UK) »
Hi John, based on the DNA test we have been trying to work out what has happened, what we believe is that Joseph John Wright m( b 1875) son of John & Margaret left the Lancashire area at some point and moved to Scotland, he assumed a different surname and remarried, I am guessing as you know his year of death you have seen the details on A*****y.
 We found the record for a marriage of Joseph John Wright to Margaret Gallagher and put 2&2 together, because he does not appear on the 1901 census with his mother and other siblings and the only Joseph John we can find is now married, we are guessing that this may be him along with a wife and  2 Children ( Peter and Joseph )as of yet we have no DNA evidence that this is the same person though.
I have nothing to go on re Peter other than when he was born, no idea when he died etc , GRO records provide births for 6 children to Joseph John and Margaret (nee Gallagher) no idea what happened to any of them
Hope this helps
Lorraine

Offline lorribelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 08 October 20 10:41 BST (UK) »
What we have is Joseph John (b1875) married Sarah Nicholson in 1919 in Annan, Dumfriesshire, marriage certificate has his name as Joseph John Hunter, father John Hunter  Labourer (deceased) mother Margaret nee Wright (also deceased) so he has changed his name from Wright to Hunter for some reason for his marriage) He chose never to speak to any of his family about his past, all they knew was he came from Runcorn, so for years we have been searching for a Joseph John Hunter and a marriage for his parents which we could never find for obvious reasons.
 DNA linked my husband to the Quirks in the Isle of Man which is Joseph Johns grandmothers maiden name, which gave us something to work forward from and after that it all started to make sense. 

Lorraine

Offline johnhood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 08 October 20 10:50 BST (UK) »
Lorraine, having just viewed the 1919 Annan marriage certificate there is no doubt in my mind that this is the same man. Bearing in mind his mothers maiden name was Hunter the switch from Wright (his birth registered surname) is no big leap. The real / final confirmation would be details from his first marriage to Margaret Gallagher regarding his fathers details.
The original poster mentioned a sister called Lilly/Lily. This is more than likely a half sister born 1931- 2013 from Joseph's second marriage.

John
HOOD- STAFFORDSHIRE/LONDON/AUSTRALIA
WALKER-LONDON
HIGGS-LONDON
GOSLING-DEVON

Offline johnhood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 08 October 20 11:17 BST (UK) »
post deleted
WALKER-LONDON
HIGGS-LONDON
GOSLING-DEVON

Offline lorribelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 08 October 20 11:27 BST (UK) »
The other piece of the jigsaw which gave us final confirmation that Joseph John Hunter was Joseph John Wright was the date of birth. We knew his birthday was 17th September so I ordered the birth certificate for Joseph John Wright, the year of birth was different from what we though but the actual month and day was the same .
I am not sure about the Lily as the OP would not have know about his marriage in 1919 as I believe he had no contact with any family once leaving Lancashire but I could be wrong.
I have the marriage certificate for Joseph John and Margaret Gallagher will hunt it out shortly and let you know the details
Lorraine

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 08 October 20 11:34 BST (UK) »
Lorraine, having just viewed the 1919 Annan marriage certificate there is no doubt in my mind that this is the same man. Bearing in mind his mothers maiden name was Hunter the switch from Wright (his birth registered surname) is no big leap. The original poster mentioned a sister called Lilly/Lily. This is more than likely a half sister born 1931- 2013 from Joseph's second marriage.

John
He chose never to speak to any of his family about his past, all they knew was he came from Runcorn,

Lorraine
Hello ---just joined to-day so please go easy on me :) :)
Maybe someone could help -i have Peter Wright born 1900 lancashire,Joseph brother,Lilly sister, any information on this family would be appreciated very much -they did reside in Widnes which was formally Lancashire but is now Cheshire,also their parents,g/parents anything.
did they always live in Widnes--hope anyone can oblige many thanks Billybobb

If sister Lily (as was mentioned in the original post) was a half sister to Peter (and siblings) and the family seem to have knowledge of her then surely that would mean the 2nd family of Joseph stayed in touch with the first family?? and as there was so much secrecy I doubt this would happen.
I am wondering if "sister" Lily may have been sister in law - having married one of Peter's siblings -or possibly a child Peter's mother had by someone other than Joseph?/ So many twists and turns- I'll try to find more info on Peter's siblings later tonight

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline johnhood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 08 October 20 11:36 BST (UK) »
Would like to know the marriage details.

John
WALKER-LONDON
HIGGS-LONDON
GOSLING-DEVON

Offline lorribelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 08 October 20 12:04 BST (UK) »
I just posted the marriage details of Joseph John and Margaret Gallagher but they seem to have disappeared. As I am new to roots chat is there certain things that cannot be mentioned or did I just delete my own post by accident
Lorraine

Offline lorribelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 08 October 20 12:12 BST (UK) »
Will try again
Marriage in Bolton 28 jan 1898 Joseph John Wright age 22 Bachelor, General Labourer of 20 Princes or Princess Street, Bolton father John Wright General labourer deceased
To Margaret Gallagher spinster age 22 Domestic Servant , 20 Ashburner Street , Bolton,  father Peter Gallagher
 deceased general labourer

The witnesses are Thomas H Stevenson and Mary Stevenson