Author Topic: Unusual occupations  (Read 1524 times)

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Unusual occupations
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 24 December 16 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Most of these occupations were probably quite common,. Many would have died out  but the names are what seem strange to us today, although stevedore, unusual?.
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 24 December 16 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Most of these occupations were probably quite common,. Many would have died out  but the names are what seem strange to us today, although stevedore, unusual?.

Stevedore (dock worker) is a word I have known since childhood, so it doesn't feel unusual to me.

I just transcribed my first scutcher yesterday - it's something to do with combing tat out of cotton or woollen fibres.  With a scutch of course.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 24 December 16 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Scutching was one of the process's of linen production along with retting, heckling & spinning.

Skoosh.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 24 December 16 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Scutching in a cotton mill is the removal of any debris (seeds, woody bits etc.) from the raw cotton.

It is seen as a dirty job, and hence low status. Just above it in status is the Card Room.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 24 December 16 13:32 GMT (UK) »
In coal mining a scutcher, scutches (picks off in small pieces with hand pick) any points, noses, or elbows of coal left on a machine-cut face after the coal has been cut to allow the machine to pass without obstruction.

Stan
Mapstone, Mapston.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk