Author Topic: Upchurch near Milton/Sittinbourne  (Read 941 times)

Offline KeithTruman

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Upchurch near Milton/Sittinbourne
« on: Wednesday 21 December 16 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Dear all,

I am searching for the Baptism of a George Hoare who later in life became a Master Mariner. I have found his Masters Certificate (dated 1851) which gives his Date of Birth as 16th December 1806 in Upchurch, Kent. I assume he may have been baptised in Upchurch or perhaps in Milton.

Can anyone find the baptism please which will give me the names of George's parents. Thank you

Keith

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Upchurch near Milton/Sittinbourne
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 December 16 18:43 GMT (UK) »
This is not proving very easy.

The baptism is not on freereg, Ancestry or familysearch.

Findmypast do have Upchurch baptisms but a search on George Hoare or just George born 1806 +- 10 years reveals nothing.

I have noted there are a few George Hoare's around to add to the confusion.

What you could do is try to see a copy of his marriage to Sarah Bingham in 1836 to see who the witnesses were and whether that helps.

You could also try the National Maritime Museum to see if they have any other papers on him other than the masters ticket you have seen
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 December 16 19:51 GMT (UK) »
There is a baptism for a Geog HOARE at Upchurch, 11th January 1807, son of Edward & Elizabeth.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 December 16 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Well found. I tried George on its own but not Hoare so guess that's where I went wrong. As for Geog ....
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Alex Walker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 December 16 18:42 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if these are of interest

1810 Jul 22 Willm S of Edw & Elizabeth HOARE
1805 Apr 14 Edward S of Edward & Elizabeth HOARE
1807 Jan 11 Geog S of Edward & Elizabeth HOARE
1808 Nov 20 Elizabeth D of Edwd & Elizth HOARE

All Upchurch

Alex
Kent - Aldington, Bredhurst, Chatham, Gillingham, Hollingbourne, Lynsted, Newington, Rainham, Ramsgate, Smeeth, Snodland, Stockbury, Teynham, Upchurch<br />Surrey - Croydon<br />Sussex - Hellingly, Limspfield<br />Names - Chambers, Flynn, Giblett, Hart, Hodgman, Goldsmith, Lacy, Tucker, Hales, Callaway, Hubbard, Mudge, Wills, Barnden

Census information contained in this post is Crown copyright:  www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Offline KeithTruman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 December 16 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Alex. Yes, these must be the children I am looking for born in Upchurch. Now to find out more about George's parents Edward and Elizabeth. Thanks for your help.
Keith