Author Topic: My DNA from that well known website!!  (Read 24264 times)

Offline plimmerian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
My DNA from that well known website!!
« on: Thursday 22 December 16 11:20 GMT (UK) »
I'd like to share my results with you and get your opinions (what can I really learn from these results):

Great Britain 62%
Ireland 15%
Scandinavia 6%
Iberian Peninsula 6%

Italy/Greece 4%
Europe West 2%
Europe East 2%
Finland/Northwest Russia < 1%

Caucasus 1%

Asia South < 1%

what I know about my family history (briefly):

paternal grandfather's paternal line traced to Shropshire pre 1800
paternal grandfather's maternal line traced to Lancashire pre 1800

paternal grandmother's paternal line traced to County Durham pre 1800
paternal grandmother's maternal line traced to Scotland pre 1800
(also a direct ancestor born in France - a British Subject - parentage foggy)

maternal grandfather's paternal line traced to North Yorkshire pre 1800
maternal grandfather's maternal line traced to Cheshire pre 1800

maternal grandmother's paternal line traced to Wales pre 1800
maternal grandmother's maternal line traced to Ireland pre 1840s

all very much a mongrel mix in those lines too as you move forward in time!

I'm not shocked to see the British / Irish / Scandi results but the other regions are a surprise.

It is quite amazing to think an ancient ancestor of mine from India enabled their gene to get carried north with the passage of time, no matter how faint it is now!

8)

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: My DNA from that well known website!!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 December 16 16:49 GMT (UK) »

Hi,

I'm not sure if this helps but I do remember watching or reading about the Roman legions that were in Britain coming from all over the Roman Empire so soldiers + locals = mongrels  ;D, and some stayed on and married into our gene pool :)

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 December 16 08:03 GMT (UK) »
I'd like to share my results with you and get your opinions (what can I really learn from these results):

Nothing really other than you were not taught history at school or you did not pay attention.   ;)

Great Britain 62%

I'm not shocked to see the British / Irish / Scandi results but the other regions are a surprise.

WHY?

If we discount the UK for a moment, and just think about mainland Europe. Individuals wandered all over the continent through the ages mixing their DNA with others.
Then think of all the wars there have been on the continent, all wars involve rape and soldiers becoming involved with the residents of the countries they are posted too.  :-X
This means that any one modern day country in the continent of Europe will contain residents with DNA from much of the rest of Europe.  8)
Then think of the Romans (as DaisyPetal mentioned) there soldiers were not as might be imagined limited to Italians but consisted of men from the countries they had previously conquered, mercenaries from neighbouring states and what is often forgotten a baggage train including camp followers from wherever they have passed through.  :-X

Returning to the UK now.

The inhabitants have traded with the continent of Europe from time immemorial, people from the British Isles have travelled to other countries and people from other countries have travelled to the British Isles, spreading their DNA as they travel.
In addition invaders and raiding parties have cut through the British Isles on many occasions throughout history as they did on the continent of Europe.

What would be surprising in DNA is if we came across someone with purely English (whatever that means) DNA.  :'(

The regions mentioned in such DNA reports are purely arbitrary groupings, which vary according to which company is testing the results.
They mean very little with regards ethnic origin.  ;D

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 December 16 18:32 GMT (UK) »
For most of us in the UK, we have a fair inkling of the origin of most of our DNA. Testing can sort out which paternal line is related to which other, with estimates of how far back the common ancestor might be.

The "ethnic origin" report might be of use where migration was the norm and the source of that migration was varied, such as the USA and the Caribbean.

An immigrant described in records as a "Russian" might have come from anywhere between modern-day Germany and Vladivostok. "Eastern Europe" might narrow down the search for their records quite a bit - but it would have to score a lot higher than 2% to warrant even a sub to Ancestry!
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline plimmerian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 December 16 19:22 GMT (UK) »
I guess cos we're all lily white skinned and blonde or red headed (some of us) with blue eyes and burn easily that the Celtic DNA wasn't a shock or a surprise!  :D

It was thrilling to realise I have the DNA of ancestors from more exotic areas of the world - that just blows my mind!  8)

I think everyone should have their DNA tested and it might just bring more harmony to what can sometimes feel like a rather fractured world!

All the very best for the season and thanks for posting!

:)

PS
I watched this which inspired me to get tested!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfLr26wcF8M

Offline plimmerian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 October 18 21:09 BST (UK) »
my DNA results have just been updated and I need to scrap the original result

they now say I am

80% England, Wales & Northwestern Europe

and 20% Ireland and Scotland

what happened to my other interesting percentages?

???

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 October 18 07:44 BST (UK) »
my DNA results have just been updated and I need to scrap the original result

they now say I am

80% England, Wales & Northwestern Europe

and 20% Ireland and Scotland

what happened to my other interesting percentages?

???

Nothing please refer to my earlier posting.
The regions mentioned in such DNA reports are purely arbitrary groupings, which vary according to which company is testing the results.
They mean very little with regards ethnic origin.  ;D

All that has happened is your testing company has changed the algorithm it uses to produce the ethnic origin results.
These algorithms use modern day populations to produce results rather than ancient or historic populations.

You could get just as accurate results by taking 100 pins (or beads) and throwing them onto a map of Europe.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***