Author Topic: Look up request: Elizabeth GRENYER  (Read 792 times)

Offline Ancestry Addicted

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Look up request: Elizabeth GRENYER
« on: Thursday 22 December 16 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello :) me again!

Elizabeth Grenyer married Richard Mills at Saint Nicholas, Brighton on February 22nd 1839. The marriage record states that her parents were called Anna Grenyer and John Gullend.

According to the census returns of 1861 and 1871 she was born in Brighton in 1818/1817.

I can't find a likely birth record for Elizabeth. I think that the name Grenyer is not quite right, but I haven't found any birth records that seem to fit my Elizabeth even when I search her name with the variants option selected.

Also, I don't understand why Elizabeth would have been christened Grenyer rather than Gullend.

Sorry for my poor English. Any insight at all would be really appreciated.

Fleur xx

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Look up request: Elizabeth GRENYER
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 December 16 19:36 GMT (UK) »
How about this one?

Elizabeth Grinyer - christening St Nicholas, Brighton 22 June 1817. Mother Hannah Grinyer.

The surname Grinyer rather than Gullend suggests she was illegitimate. Either she knew her father's name or Anna(Hannah?) married John Gullend after she was born.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 December 16 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi the 1841/51 census returns if they help at all:-

Bread Street, Brighton 1841

Richard Mills 24
Elizabeth 24
John 2
Richard 1
HO107/1121/ 6/11 / 14

Sun Street, Brighton 1851

Richard MILL 34 occ Chair Maker
E Mill 34
R Mill 11 son
G Mill 8 son
J Mill 4 son
Census ref HO107/1645/55/2
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 December 16 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi all I can locate at least two births in Brighthelmstone mmn Gringer/Grinyer on the new GRO Index, the John in 1841 Census?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 December 16 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi all I can locate at least two births in Brighthelmstone mmn Gringer/Grinyer on the new GRO Index, the John in 1841 Census?
Keyboard86

Could well be! Seems about right.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 December 16 23:23 GMT (UK) »
How about this one?

Elizabeth Grinyer - christening St Nicholas, Brighton 22 June 1817. Mother Hannah Grinyer.

The surname Grinyer rather than Gullend suggests she was illegitimate. Either she knew her father's name or Anna(Hannah?) married John Gullend after she was born.

William

Thank you! I thought she was perhaps illegitimate but I was thrown at him being named on her marriage record, as you say, perhaps she knew the identify of her father

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 December 16 00:32 GMT (UK) »
The actual image of the baptism I referred to can actually be viewed on Familysearch.

To locate it use the catalogue - enter Brighton in the search box and select Brighton, Sussex, England and from its list of records select church records, scroll down until you come to the entry for Bishop's Transcripts, click on that and then find a symbol showing a camera. (I had to sign in to view the images but it is free!).  The image is number 350 and states June 22nd (1817) Elizabeth, base born daughter of Hannah Grinyer, Abode King Street.

Its a bit fiddly but it works!

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 December 16 00:38 GMT (UK) »
The actual image of the baptism I referred to can actually be viewed on Familysearch.

To locate it use the catalogue - enter Brighton in the search box and select Brighton, Sussex, England and from its list of records select church records, scroll down until you come to the entry for Bishop's Transcripts, click on that and then find a symbol showing a camera. (I had to sign in to view the images but it is free!).  The image is number 350 and states June 22nd (1817) Elizabeth, base born daughter of Hannah Grinyer, Abode King Street.

Its a bit fiddly but it works!

William

Ohhhh you champion, thank you so much