Author Topic: adoption 1919-1920  (Read 7098 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: adoption 1919-1920
« Reply #108 on: Thursday 31 December 20 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Welcome Julia, yes often a surname is used as a middle name.

The baby born in 1919 was given two Christian names : Violet Florence. Yes,  her mother registered the birth, naming the father as Jack Mcarthur.  The birth was recorded as legitimate the record found  by jonw65.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline curioushistory

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Thursday 31 December 20 21:40 GMT (UK) »
On my Dad's other side of the tree, there are lots of maiden names used. In that tree the illegitimate childs middle name was the father surname.
But I am assuming my Nana's middle name Florence is from Alice's sister Florence Eliza. And Violet's legal last name before she married was McArthur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Friday 01 January 21 02:20 GMT (UK) »
It is really odd the continual use of 15 Montpelier Street with nothing found in relation to Alice & Jack...

I actually started to wonder if the word after 'Private' was really 'Australian' or something else...

The only other thing I could come up with was 'Auctioneer' which looked a close fit (& same amount of letters) but not close enough as the 4th letter from the right definitely has an upward stroke i.e. the 'l'  ::)

I noticed in the list Jon posted from the directories there was a Mrs A Clark at 13 Montpelier Street i.e. is it possible Alice got the wrong no. either in error or by choice for whatever reason?

My head is thinking all sorts of scenarios in the hope of something being found to connect them some how?

What's puzzling is, when Alice is admitted to Thavies, why is the location of 'Jack' not recorded?
Her sister Agnes is recorded as is her address but 'Jack' escapes the 'paperwork' from there on in!

I'm beginning to wonder if there's a connection with the Builder & his cousin, possibly how they met, same type of occ. recorded & was Alice kind of forced to lie about the paternity of Violet  ???

I think if it was me, especially with so many links with the half siblings etc. my plan would be a DNA test as so far there's absolutely nothing in a paper trail to even try to follow the McArthur surname which I really think has been made up for some reason.

It would be interesting to know more about her '2nd' marriage & how they afforded to emigrate to Australia so soon after her giving Violet up for adoption?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Friday 01 January 21 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Fascinating topic and great research
Curioushistory if you take DNA it would show connections to descendants of violets half siblings and you may get a cluster of connections to the birth father or if there is a connection to adoptive family .

Regarding affording passage to Australia was this at a time when cheap passage was offered to encourage emigration ?

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Friday 01 January 21 12:52 GMT (UK) »
http://www.migrationheritage.nsw.gov.au/exhibition/objectsthroughtime-history/1918-1939/index.html

' In the 1920's .......British migrants were encouraged to settle in Australia. The Australian Government paid most of their fare and, like the soldiers before them, some were assisted to establish farms.'