Author Topic: adoption 1919-1920  (Read 7113 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: adoption 1919-1920
« Reply #81 on: Tuesday 29 December 20 18:40 GMT (UK) »
It would be very interesting to know just what 15 Montpelier St, South Kensington consisted of as it seems to be rather a very large building in an upmarket area?

In recent times there was Montpeliano Restaurant next door at 13 Montpelier St...

Can be seen here...http://www.rootschat.com/links/01q5w/

No. 15 would either be immediately to the left or right of the restaurant.

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline curioushistory

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Tuesday 29 December 20 18:49 GMT (UK) »
I would like to think there is a Private Jack McArthur. Alice goes as far to call herself a housewife. Lists him as father. And give her baby that name.  Alice has a boy, couples years before. And names him Tapp.
But the facts are... Father wasn't there for birth in 1919 and/or adoption in 1920.
Alice states she is a spinster on her marriage certificate to Patmore in 1921

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Tuesday 29 December 20 19:02 GMT (UK) »
What's confusing me is Jack is also referred to as 'Commercial Clerk' i.e. is this a Private Commercial Clerk working in the offices of/at 130 Horseferry Rd. Westminster, London & not a 'Private' in the AIF?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Tuesday 29 December 20 19:10 GMT (UK) »
I would like to think there is a Private Jack McArthur. Alice goes as far to call herself a housewife. Lists him as father. And give her baby that name.  Alice has a boy, couples years before. And names him Tapp.
But the facts are... Father wasn't there for birth in 1919 and/or adoption in 1920.
Alice states she is a spinster on her marriage certificate to Patmore in 1921

What document shows her as a housewife?

When she registered Violet,  she gave her name as Mcarthur, formerly Tapp.  So she had become known as McArhur.   You did not need a marriage to become known by another name.   The Private, Jack Mcarthur, a Commercial Clerk employed at the Australian Headquarters lived with Alice when she registered Violets birth in July 1919.

ANNIE,  that's an  excellent question...     

JM 

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline curioushistory

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Tuesday 29 December 20 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Alice is listed as housewife on papers for the Thavies Inn Infirmary

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Tuesday 29 December 20 19:33 GMT (UK) »
'Commercial Clerk' i.e. is this a Private Commercial Clerk working in the offices of/at 130 Horseferry Rd. Westminster, London & not a 'Private' in the AIF?

Or...Is 'Private' referring to The Private Australian Headquarters which would omit 'Private' in any of the above contexts?

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Tuesday 29 December 20 19:51 GMT (UK) »
This helps in defining Jacks occupation i.e. not a 'Private' in the AIF...

"The building at Horseferry Road housed the AIF administration headquarters in Horseferry Road, London. The Training and Command Depot Headquarters were at Tidworth in Wiltshire, where most Australian training camps were"

Edit...I forgot to add there's also an old a pic of the Headquarters on Horseferry Road.

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/162197-australian-army-hq-london/

War Diaries here, worth a look through if you have a few spare weeks  :D

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/AWM4

Annie

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Tuesday 29 December 20 19:55 GMT (UK) »
It would be very interesting to know just what 15 Montpelier St, South Kensington consisted of as it seems to be rather a very large building in an upmarket area?

In recent times there was Montpeliano Restaurant next door at 13 Montpelier St...

Attached is the east side of Montpelier Street from Kelly's Directory of Kensington, Notting Hill, Brompton & Knightsbridge 1919

Electoral registers for 1919 have Alfred George Barnes and Emma Mathilde Barnes at 19 Montpelier Street. As we can see from the directory, he was a builder.

Probably them in Battersea in the 1911 free index. I think you need to see the original for the spelling of the name "Matilda", I am not allowed to comment :)
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XW56-S5T

Offline curioushistory

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Tuesday 29 December 20 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Violet's birth certificate