Author Topic: Relative won't help me  (Read 4851 times)

Offline Ancestry Addicted

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Relative won't help me
« on: Wednesday 28 December 16 02:44 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to be as general as possible.

Someone posted an ad on a genealogy site (not this one) asking for information regarding someone who happens to be living and is a close relative of mine. I happily provided the poster with relevant information about me, my parents, and the person they originally enquired about. I broke down several brick walls that the poster had ran into. They said that in return they would show me their extensive family tree and help me break down some of my own brick walls.

Now they are saying that I'll have to provide them with three divorce certificates at 60 each before they'll help me or even tell me how we are related. I'm annoyed as anything about this as I told them from the off that I'm a student.

They really don't need these certificates and I know that they aren't obligated to help me but they gave me the impression that they would be happy to do so. Now I feel duped.

Sorry but felt the need to vent.

Sorry if my writing is bad. English is not my first language.

Fleur xxxx

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST (Speciality - South Uist, Inverness)
    • View Profile
Re: Relative won't help me
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 03:07 GMT (UK) »
Was the request for the divorce papers by private message or on a thread on view to the public?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie, MacDonald, MacInnes, MacIntyre, MacKinnon, Steele, Walker

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, MacKinnon, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 03:08 GMT (UK) »
Was the request for the divorce papers by private message or on a thread on view to the public?

Annie

They sent it in an email to my personal email address

Online Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 03:27 GMT (UK) »
Do you have all the messages exchanged on record as you may be able to report him & send the messages to the site Administrators?

Can you post the name of the site please?

Others need to know about these things to be aware.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie, MacDonald, MacInnes, MacIntyre, MacKinnon, Steele, Walker

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 03:28 GMT (UK) »
Do you have all the messages exchanged on record as you may be able to report him & send the messages to the site Administrators?

Can you post the name of the site please?

Others need to know about these things to be aware.

Annie

The website is called CuriousFox and I've kept all of the messages exchanged. Not too sure what to do

Online Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 03:35 GMT (UK) »
I've used that site in the past, many years ago, didn't feel it was worth the fee.

However I think you should get in touch with them & explain exactly the events & the outcome, send them a copy of all the correspondence & explain you're not happy & feel duped & that you would like something done about it as it's not something you would expect on an open forum.

Annie

Added You will need to give his Forum name & email address.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 03:44 GMT (UK) »
I've used that site in the past, many years ago, didn't feel it was worth the fee.

However I think you should get in touch with them & explain exactly the events & the outcome, send them a copy of all the correspondence & explain you're not happy & feel duped & that you would like something done about it as it's not something you would expect on an open forum.

Annie

Added You will need to give his Forum name & email address.

Oh thank you! I will do this. And I'll be more careful in future as well. Very disappointing, especially as they wouldn't even tell me how we're related. :(

Online Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 03:51 GMT (UK) »
I had a similar experience although not asked for expensive certs.
I was in contact with someone, got chatting to find out our connection.
That person gave me access to their tree (my info. wasn't online).
I sent a lot of years research & certs. which cost a lot of during the time the tree was accessible to me but obviously I was emailing lots of info. & certs. & after I'd done that, the following day I decided to have a look at the tree to see what I didn't have & access had been withdrawn!!!

Not nice but I didn't let it worry me too much as it was a good lesson early on & taught me for the future  ;)

Annie

Online Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 03:53 GMT (UK) »
Let us know how you get on!!!

Annie