Author Topic: William Thomas Driver, Tennessee, later Missouri  (Read 683 times)

Offline Nick93

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Thomas Driver, Tennessee, later Missouri
« on: Wednesday 28 December 16 06:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi there. I was wondering if anyone could help me in looking up records for William Thomas Driver. According to the Missouri censuses of 1880 and 1900, he was born in Tennessee in 1831.

A post on Wikitree says that:

"1854 marriage to Ann Thursey 1860 residence Macon County, Tennessee 1870 residence District 9 Macon County, Tennessee 1872- April marriage to Martha Waggoner in Kentucky 1880 residence Union,Ripley, Missouri 1900 residence Kelley and Pine Townships, Ripley, Missouri"

I have seen a few sources say he was the son of William Driver of Coffee Tennessee and his wife Nancy Adams. However I believe that is incorrect. William Thomas Driver had a son named John Henry Driver. In Macon County Tennessee was another John Henry Driver, probably an older brother of William Thomas (this John Henry Driver was born in 1824). William Driver and Nancy Adams (the alleged parents by some people) did have a son named John, but his name was John Corbitt Driver. John Corbitt married a woman named Sarah Brown, while John Henry Driver of Macon TN married a Lydia Doss. So I'm quite sure they were different people, and that John Henry Driver was the brother of William Thomas Driver due to WT naming a son John Henry.

If anyone could find any info on William Thomas Driver of Macon Tennesse, born in 1831 or so, especially who his parents were, I'd greatly appreciate it. I can't find any information either on who the parents were of the John Henry Driver married to Lydia Doss.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Nick93

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: William Thomas Driver, Tennessee, later Missouri
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Yep, that looks like him. Wow Shelly, thanks for finding that so quickly. The 1900 census does have him living in Ripley. However, I'm not sure how accurate the Find A Grave mention is. The two censuses I saw gave his birthplace as Tennessee (though I've heard censuses aren't always accurate, sometimes someone wasn't home and someone else gave the info to the census taker), and they both also have white in the race category, not Cherokee. But who knows, maybe he was 'passing' and described himself as white to make life easier. If I contacted the Ripley record office or something, might they have information on who his parents are? Would a death certificate have that?

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 19:03 GMT (UK) »
A death certificate might have parents' names if the informant knew them.  There are some Missouri death records online here - http://s1.sos.mo.gov/records/archives/archivesdb/birthdeath/ - but I didn't see one that fit this death.

You might want to try to contact the person who put the information on Find a Grave, to see what their sources were.

Offline Nick93

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 December 16 02:59 GMT (UK) »
Hey, thanks again Shelly. I've emailed the lady who posted it originally. I'm hopeful I can get some more info. I really need to pay to re-access Ancestry soon.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 December 16 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Given his age - have you looked for civil war records for him?

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KDYX-1K4
 - this would appear to be a record of pensions from 1904, records his widow as Martha A. Driver, service as H 5 Ky Cav (Kentucky Cavalry?), he previously applied in 1891. (I believe you can get hold of the original pension applications, see https://familysearch.org/wiki/en/Requesting_Copies_of_Civil_War_Service_and_Pension_Records )

Matches up with this from 1890:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:K8S1-MVC

Also, how certain are you that he is the same man from Macon, Tennessee who first married in 1854?
I see that in 1880 he has stepchildren with him so Martha probably didn't marry him as a Waggoner.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nick93

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 January 17 07:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jorose, thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I think both he is the same person in those links and the same person from Macon. I went ahead and got back on Ancestry.com again, and although I'm no closer to finding out who William T's parents are, he is in Macon on the 1860 census with his son J H Driver who's the right age for the John Henry Driver in Missouri later.

Offline charlesobscure

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 November 21 04:11 GMT (UK) »
I'm a descendant of John Henry Driver and found this chat.  I may have some information that's helpful.