Author Topic: George Milne (Abt 1812) m Elizabeth Longmuir (Abt 1809) Aberdeen  (Read 921 times)

Offline blackjack6149

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Milne (Abt 1812) m Elizabeth Longmuir (Abt 1809) Aberdeen
« on: Friday 30 December 16 09:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I'm looking for any information on my 3rd G Grandparents George Milne and Elizabeth Longmuir/Longmuer.

My understanding so far is that George and Elizabeth married 29 Oct 1829 in her father's (David Longmuir, Inspector of Police, Aberdeen) home. The marriage was registered through St Nicholas Presbyterian Church, Aberdeen.
I have two copies of the marriage record, One witness was David Longmuer (I assume her father) but I am unable to read the second witness A? (just 2 letters I think) Milne. The record finishes with what looks like H:H (any hints on what this means would be great - is it just termination of the record?)
George Milne was a mason in Aberdeen. His middle name was possibly Robert (not used in the marriage documents.)

After their marriage they moved to Tasmania (Van Dieman's Land), Australia with their first son David (aged about 3) and then on to Victoria, Australia. His children's names were in order of birth: David, Elizabeth, Mary, Helen, George, Alexander Longmure, Margaret, Charles and Barbara Longmuir.

I have a probable death certificate for him which is of no use as I believe he died in Queensland away from the rest of his family, so most of his family details are reported as 'unknown'!

I am trying to find George's parents. I've got lots of options as you can imagine and wonder whether he was indeed born in Aberdeen or may have been born in Bervie or Fordoun.

I have distant DNA matches to people whose Milne ancestors were from these areas. My aim is to find my link to them. Several of these people have a Stephen (surname) marrying a Milne in the mid 1700s.

At some stage I thought that he was born in Cookney, Kincardineshire (but have no idea where that thought or fact came from).

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Offline ShannyBibbles

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: George Milne (Abt 1812) m Elizabeth Longmuir (Abt 1809) Aberdeen
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 January 19 05:46 GMT (UK) »
I’m wondering if these are my ancestors

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 January 19 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shanny Bibbles and a warm welcome to Rootschat ...BlackJack has not been active on this site for a few years ..If e-mail address is the same they  will receive a notification you have posted and hopefully make contact...If you require any help with  family information why not start a post of your own there are plenty people on here to help  :) :)

Rosie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 January 19 13:58 GMT (UK) »
I’m wondering if these are my ancestors
Why do you ask? Do you recognise the names, or have you managed to trace back from yourself?

If you are seeking help here you will need to give us a bit more information about yourself/your parents/your grandparents, but remember that you are not allowed to post any information here about living people.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.