Author Topic: South Africa 1925 to 1945  (Read 2730 times)

Offline jen5525

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
South Africa 1925 to 1945
« on: Friday 30 December 16 14:32 GMT (UK) »
I have a few questions about ancestors who came to S. Africa in that time period.

I have been able to find my great grandfather's passenger slip from the UK to South Africa, which was quite a find, as the date was much earlier than I initially thought; he arrived in Natal in 1925.  He married in 1941.  I have the address on his marriage record in 1941, and his death (which you found for me), which was different.  He was a carpenter I believe (though also worked as a ship joiner at times in the past as well).   I'm wondering what type of records I might find in that time period that would help me pin down what he was doing or where he was living etc?

I also know that 2 of his children came to South Africa afterwards, John and Mary.  I was able to find their passenger slip as well, and they arrived in Natal in 1936.  Mary was 20 and occupation was listed as a chemist.  John was 15 and the slip has occupation listed as "nil." 

I know John fought in WWII.  I'm wondering would there be a separate South African army that fought in the war, or if he'd have been in the British forces.  Any thoughts or suggestions would be very helpful!

Jennifer 
Stewart in Kirkden, Paisley, Port Glasgow Scotland; Londonderry, Ireland; South Africa
Neilson in Paisley, Port Glasgow Scotland
Baillie in Peebles, Paisley, Edinburgh Scotland
Anderson in Angus/Forfarshire & Kincardineshire Scotland
Forbes in Kirkden Forfarshire & Kincardineshire, Scotland
Patterson/Paterson in Carmyllie & Kirkden, Forfarshire Scotland
Calhoun in Tyrone, Ireland & Jersey City, New Jersey
Mitchard in Liverpool England & New Jersey

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: South Africa 1925 to 1945
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 December 16 15:20 GMT (UK) »
My dad came to England from SA in WWII but he fought with the Prinses Irene Brigade (Dutch). My uncle also came from SA and he flew with the British (Lancaster Bombers). Sorry, I'm no help, cb
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 December 16 15:24 GMT (UK) »
The Union Defence Force would have been the armed services from South Africa from 1912, after South Africa became a Union in 1910, until 1957 when it became the South African Defence Force.  They would have served in WWII as part of the wider British effort.

I think those records would be with the GRO in the UK.

Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline jen5525

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 December 16 15:34 GMT (UK) »
thanks all.  anyone have a good link to those records?  I'm really more accustomed to the US military records unfortunately
Stewart in Kirkden, Paisley, Port Glasgow Scotland; Londonderry, Ireland; South Africa

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 December 16 15:37 GMT (UK) »

If you have  a sub for Find My Past or Ancestry you could start there. Or post his details on the Military board  I'm sure there's a RChatter out ther who can help with British service records.

I really need to go and start dinner or I'll have a mutiny on my hands, back later  ::) ;D ;D ;D
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline jen5525

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 31 December 16 01:49 GMT (UK) »
thanks!

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 January 17 13:52 GMT (UK) »
You don't give John or Mary's surname so hard to find info. There are no census records available so hard to find more info on your great grandfather. If you email sandfdoc@mweb.co.za with Johns details they may find his records and email them to you.
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline jen5525

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 01 January 17 21:52 GMT (UK) »
yes, surnames would be helpful!  Surname was Stewart.  Was able to find them both leaving UK for S. Africa in 1936.  Mary Stewart left S. Africa in 1946 to go back to Scotland and then left for US to live with her sister, Isabella Stewart Mitchard (my grandmother) in 1950.  Her younger brother John Stewart (b. 1921 in Port Glasgow Scotland) remained in S. Africa. He fought in WW2 reportedly.  Then married and had children.  I am trying to contact his son to see if anyone recollects anything more specific about his military history, as John Stewart is a fairly common name!