Author Topic: William Lee alias Dyer? - Stonehouse and Stoke Damerel  (Read 723 times)

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
William Lee alias Dyer? - Stonehouse and Stoke Damerel
« on: Sunday 01 January 17 01:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

This is a follow on from a previous thread I posted in the Somerset forum but with a slightly different focus so please forgive the cross posting.

I am in search of the family of William Dyer, a tailor, born in Bath in 1811. Census records give these details consistently throughout the years so I am certain of the time and place. The only record which even remotely matches is for William Dyer Lee baptised 2 June 1811 at St Swithin, Walcot, Bath, a son of William and Maria Lee. This is a possibility for his family as all of William Dyer's children, born in Bristol, for an unknown reason, have the middle name Lee. (This includes a couple of the eldest children named William Lee Dyer and Maria Lee Dyer). On William Dyer's second marriage in 1857, he names his father as William Dyer, tailor.

I have traced William and Maria Lee (nee Pulman) to a marriage in Stoke Damerel on 29 May 1798. They were both of this parish. They had a son James Pulman Lee baptised here in 1800.

I think I have found James (now James Dyer) in the 1841 census in Bath St James, a tailor, living with William Dyer, also a tailor, aged 65 (so born c1776). James appears in 1851, and gives his birthplace as Stonehouse, Devon.

I have used all online record sources I can get my hands on (Ancestry, Find My Past, FreeReg, Family Search etc.) but am having a really hard time unravelling this one. It seems to check out, though I'd like some real proof that I am on the right track. I can't find anything else about William (Lee) or Maria his wife. Why would they drop the name Lee for Dyer?

Would anyone have a connection to these people, or be up for a challenge?

Any advice would be most gratefully received.

With thanks  :)
Adams; Baylis; Bartlett; Bowyer; Brant; Bull; Carrick; Childs; Darby; Diamond; Dowling; Driver; Elford; Elliott; Fallows; Farmer; Gibbons; Ginger; Gregory; Hennessey; Kirtland; Lakin; Langley; MacCarthy; Manwaring; Miller; Morgan; Morris; Payne; Reardon; Robinson; Rose; Ruddell-Todd; Smith; Sullivan; Stephenson; Stevens; Todd; Trend; Webber; Wetton; Wood; Woodings; Wrathall.

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
Re: William Lee alias Dyer? - Stonehouse and Stoke Damerel
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 January 17 13:41 GMT (UK) »
The most likely explanation for the change of name is for an inheritance. However, it is also possible that William Sr (husband of Maria) was illegitimate and was known by both his mother's surname and his father's surname.
A William DYER was baptised at St Pancras, Pennycross 1 Dec 1776, son of Rachel DYER - father's name not given. However, an infant William DYER was buried there in August 1777 - so probably rules this one out.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: William Lee alias Dyer? - Stonehouse and Stoke Damerel
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 January 17 05:50 GMT (UK) »
I considered illegitimacy too. I am not having any luck finding William senior though. Thanks for your reply.
Adams; Baylis; Bartlett; Bowyer; Brant; Bull; Carrick; Childs; Darby; Diamond; Dowling; Driver; Elford; Elliott; Fallows; Farmer; Gibbons; Ginger; Gregory; Hennessey; Kirtland; Lakin; Langley; MacCarthy; Manwaring; Miller; Morgan; Morris; Payne; Reardon; Robinson; Rose; Ruddell-Todd; Smith; Sullivan; Stephenson; Stevens; Todd; Trend; Webber; Wetton; Wood; Woodings; Wrathall.