Author Topic: Can anyone help advise on next step regarding my great-grandfather Martin treacy  (Read 2113 times)

Offline MrsD16

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hi all this site has already been fantastic and helped me break down some brick walls which have stumped me for months and I was wondering if anyone could help me again

My Irish ancestry has been so incredibly hard to crack, finally thought I was making head way but now I've come stuck again and was just wondering if anyone could advise me as to what to try next to try and get my research going again? Thank you

My great-grandfather was Dennis Treacy born 1st February 1897 in Tyrrells pass Mullingar Westmeath (according to his birth record, his father was Martin Treacy and his mother was Catherine McCormack

I have found the family on the 1901 and 1911 Irish census but nothing before that, I believe I'm right in believing that there no surviving census records before that until 1851, Martin is 50 on the 1901 census so possible he could just had been born around the 1851 ones but with no info on parents I don't know what I'm looking for

If anyone could point in the direction on the best place to look for info which could get me progressing that would be great

Thank you   

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone help advise on next step regarding my great-grandfather Martin treacy
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 January 17 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Religion?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline MrsD16

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone help advise on next step regarding my great-grandfather Martin treacy
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 January 17 14:42 GMT (UK) »
marriage 1887 R C
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1887/10812/5943359.pdf

Catherines father Peter ?

you could look 1850s here
http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0913

Thank you so much for finding that for me will help so much

Do you read her fathers name as Peter? I'm struggling to work it out, can get Martins fathers name as Michael but can't make out Catherine's fathers name

Offline MrsD16

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 January 17 14:55 GMT (UK) »
If anyone could help deichper Catherine McCormack's fathers name? (Bottom name) Thank you

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 January 17 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Second name could be Cormack?
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline craggagh

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 January 17 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello -

I would read his first name as Peter.

craggagh.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 January 17 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
It looks like Peter McCormack to me also.

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 01 January 17 16:53 GMT (UK) »
As dathai has linked above the RC parish is Castletown Geoghegan, one of the Civil Parishes in that RC parish is Castletownkindalen.
In Griffith's Valuation there is a Peter McCormack in Gneevebeg Castletownkindalen. Print date 1854.
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=nameSearch

Scrap all that see dathai post below.