Author Topic: Chambers yDNA R1a  (Read 2717 times)

Offline timothychambers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Chambers yDNA R1a
« Reply #9 on: Friday 11 January 19 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I would love to do a yDNA on the Chambers in North Antrim. It is recorded that McCambridge, in some instances, became Chambers "in Northern Ulster." Since the McDonnells owned Antrim and McCambridge comes from Kintyre, it is likely the the name change happened in Antrim.

I have posted elsewhere that the Chambers of Tullynaskeagh, County Down match the Cushenden, Antrim McCambridges. They are R1b and descend from the Ur Niall (Niall of the Nine Hostages), High King of ireland.

I haven't lost faith yet in my search. All Scottish Clans and families have mixed yDNA. R1a runs anywhere from 1% to 25% in Highland and Western Scottish Clans. More than one McCambridge family may have had their name changed to Chambers in Antrim.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 11 January 19 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Update:

I previously posted that The Chambers of Sligo were Clan Cameron. That was from a 18th century document that Called Roger Chambers "Mr Chalmers". He was mistaken. Since then I have gotten a copy of Betham Sketch Pedigrees that show the Sligo Chambers are a branch of the Kilboyne Chambers in County Mayo. The Kilboyne Chambers descend from the Chambers In Hertfordshire according to a Grant of Arms awarded to Thomas Chambers of Kilboyne.
Since Roger Chambers is an unusual name in Connaught (none in Mayo) and family first names repeat, a Roger Chambers that emigrated to America in 1880 would be related (his father and son were also named Roger. A descendant has agreed to take a yDNA test. I anxiously await the results.
Tim

Date of current deed   31 May 1721
CHAMBERS   Roger   of   son of F       
F    = CHAMBERS   Michael   of   Kill McOwen, Co Sligo

https://irishdeedsindex.net/mem.php?memorial=18702
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Kiwi007

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 March 19 22:11 GMT (UK) »
hi Tim

I am descended from William CHAMBERS, a weaver from Ardoyne via his daughter Sarah CHAMBERS ( born about 1825, who married John HOGG in 1846 at the Linen Hall Church, Belfast ( was announced in the papers and I have the cert.).
I have recently got dna test results back from ancestry and My Heritage ( ancestry gave me a neat 3% Norwegian- so that proves your theory -lol and MH 11.1% Scandinavian). I am still trying to work out what it all means but MH sent me a 'cluster report' the other day which shows 2 separate clusters within my known HOGG matches. I am wondering if one group belongs to my CHAMBERS line.
Have you loaded your results onto Gedmatch yet? Its an amazing site and you'll get loads of matches with good information, plus a lot of other fun things...and its free - for the most part:

https://genesis.gedmatch.com/login1.php

I have been thinking about doing the same test as you have done to see what else I can find (  MH also tested my ancestry kit for free and I got a bit more of some ethnicity and a bit less of other things, but got far more information than ancestry bothered to give)