Author Topic: Maddack or Maddock family of Collinstown  (Read 2280 times)

Offline handsri

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Maddack or Maddock family of Collinstown
« on: Sunday 01 January 17 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Dear Rootschatters (Ireland),

I have been very ably and kindly assisted by your counterparts in NZ and Australia, but am now drawing a blank in trying to find out something about the background of my great, great grandmother, Mary Ann Maddack (or Maddock), who was born circa 1844 in Collinstown. At some point between then and 1864 she emigrated to Australia, where she married Thomas Goldburg, a tailor from Plock (Poland) in March of that year.

The above information comes from the birth and marriage certificates of their son, my great grandfather, Nicholas Thomas Goldburg, b. Dec 1864 in Benalla, Victoria (supplied by Victoria BDM).

Somewhat confusingly, the certificates indicate "Collinstown, Wexford" as the place of Mary Ann Maddack's birth; I don't think this can be right - as far as I can tell Collinstown is a village in Westmeath?

Either way, I have been unable to find any further record or information about Mary Ann's origins and background in Ireland.

Looking through your boards I see that this question was raised in passing in another Australia-linked thread a few years ago, but without being resolved as far as I can tell.

Would anyone be able to help or point me in the right direction (parish records, maybe?) on the basis of the above info?

Many thanks as ever for any help you can provide

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Maddack or Maddock family of Collinstown
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 January 17 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi the RC Parish records are now online free to search but you would need to establish a place of baptism origin www.registers.nli.ie :) There is a Cullenstown in Co Wexford
www.nationalarchives.ie  1901 Census has 131 entries for surname Maddock in various locations in Wexford- same site griffiths valuation records has several entries for name in wexford.
Have found no evidence of surname in Co Westmeath in any of above records.
On Marriage Record does it state either of their parents names?

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 January 17 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Doing a search of one of our oldest records gives these results  none in Westmeath majority Wexford
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01j6j/

edited to add

could it be Cullenstown
http://cullenstown.com/

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 January 17 19:27 GMT (UK) »
griffiths Valuations has a John and Nicholas Maddock in Cullenstown 1853

http://griffiths.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/gv_details_show.php?ID=1420566&mysession=2524574598448

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 January 17 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Nicholas seems to be a publican  the other holdings below him appear to be owned by John Maddock.
http://census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/vob/IRE_CENSUS_1821-51_007246916_00254.pdf

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 January 17 20:29 GMT (UK) »

Offline handsri

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 January 17 07:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello dathai, ballydw

Cullenstown (Wexford) rather than Collinstown (Westmeath) - I would never have got there in a million years...

Many thanks for your help, I will delve into the records and links you have suggested.

All the best

Offline handsri

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 January 17 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Alas, I am having no luck at all with the Irish records - can't find anything at all that would link my Mary Ann to any Maddock family in Wexford.

I am trying now to track down her Australian marriage certificate and death certificate - which would give at least the names of her parents - but have drawn a blank there too, so far, unfortunately...

She seems to have married my great great grandfather, Thomas Goldburg (a tailor from Plock, Poland) in Benalla (Victoria) in 1864. Thomas (and Mary Ann) show up elsewhere in the Vic BDM register (for the births of their children), but - mysteriously - I can find no trace at all of their actual marriage. Frustrating...