Author Topic: Rendal/Rendel/ Randall family  (Read 4058 times)

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rendal/Rendel/ Randall family
« Reply #9 on: Monday 17 April 17 09:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Anja
How exciting, how are you related to him?

Captain James Johnston and Williamina Crawford had ten children and I am related to the oldest one, Margaret Crawford Johnson. She married William Inglis and their daughter Agnes Cecilia Inglis married James Masterton. Their daughter Margaret Johnstone Masterton was my granny, she married Douglas Hepburn.
I would love to share information. I have been researching this with a third cousin from Ontario who is a much more experienced researcher than me and he has helped put a lot of information together.

Speak soon
Alison

Offline Anja Muller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 03:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison

Would that be Neil? He is my 4th cousin so we are also related.  I have been in touch with him he put me onto Bayanne site. 

So my line is from James and Williamina's daughter Elizabeth Jessie leask Johnson (so margaret Johnson's  sister). She is my 2 x grandmother.

I live in Sydney but grew up in Edinburgh.

I probably can't shed anymore light on details other than I have a james Crawford dying on Shetland 1st April 1832 who I assume is Williaminas father and that he's was an Englishman. Any luck on Williamina husband?

Williamina and Elizabeth were both illiterate so I am assuming all 10 children would have been.

But I keep rescearching. It's hard from across the globe. Will get home one day and get to Shetland , have you been?

Look forward to hearing from you cuz 😆👍

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 10:37 BST (UK) »
Yes, it's Neil, we all know him, he adopted me in my first weeks of researching 6 years ago and really got me started.
I live in York and so get up to the Edinburgh Archives on a fairly regular basis to research for me and Neil but I have never made it to Shetland. It was only in February this year at the archives that I found that Elizabeth Jessie Leask Johnson had remarried and finally found her death date - I could have asked you!
I did give that bit of information to a researcher called Bill (living in Edinburgh) who is researching Elizabeth for his wife's side of the family, he has an ancestry tree called alb25will and he is very helpful. His wife is the great granddaughter of Elizabeth, her son John married Margaret Shand Little, their son Ernest married Margaret Hannah Henderson and they had Bill's wife. How is your line worked out from Elizabeth?

So far I have been unable to find out about the family of Williamina Johnson, wife of Captain James Johnston. I like your thinking about James Crawford, I had heard that her father might have been an Englishman but that is as far as I had got. BTW I am not sure what you mean about 'any luck on Williamina's husband' wasn't that was the captain?
If you are on Ancestry I can send you access to my tree and you can see if there is anything there of interest.
I am taking a bit of an enforced research break at the moment, I have a work deadline on the 12th of June so am having to be disciplined but my reward is two days in the archives later in June.

Alison