Author Topic: place name in Tomintoul - Kirkmichael need help  (Read 3300 times)

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: place name in Tomintoul - Kirkmichael need help
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jimmy

Awwww nice to know you lived there and refurbished it - as my learning of the place I would like to know more on it as it seems to be the start of where the Shaw's landed before Delachule across the way - Dalnalyne was William Shaw's home address prior to marrying Euphemia Grant of Findron in 1795 and there seem to have been other Shaw's with him - perhaps his brothers and possibly his father . . .

Would like to see a photo of it as to how it stands now if you have any remaining after all your hard work and where did you end up thereafter  . . .

Taken note of the book and I shall look it up and have a good read and must say how nice of you to let me know you have actually lived there . . .

I will as soon as I have all information be making a trip up to Aviemore then tripping down into Tomintoul itself to visit the research center there and the Kirk yards, then off to see all the places my family has lived as there are a few houses on Main st of Tomintoul that came up at a later date

The wind and the snow you did well to live there and you have totally put me off ever wishing to reside in one of my old folks houses ha ha ha . . .

Thanks for the message enjoyed that - Indiana . . . :)

Offline cujimmy21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Have you researched Scalan Seminary which is nearby? If you have an afternoon, this is well worth a walk out, where you can stand and imagine the hardship that the priests went through. Records go back some 300 years. Google will provide various links.

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Ello jimmy

Oh right no Jimmy - on account, I never heard of it - but I should as there do seem to be some priests in the family via the Shaw's and Grant's and Mcpherson's of the family . . .

So I have checked on it and bookmarked it - Not sure if it was John Shaw the Priest who ended up in Glasgow in the 1800's . . .

I will not be going to Tomintoul until I have all information I can get here by hand - so that's another little gem to add to the list - many thanks . . .

I do not drive myself and was thinking of getting a horse to get about to all of these places on the presumption it knows its own terrain - ha ha ha . . .

Brilliant and kind regards again - Indiana . . .  ;)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 01 February 18 07:02 GMT (UK) »
I will as soon as I have all information be making a trip up to Aviemore then tripping down into Tomintoul itself to visit the research center there
There isn't a 'research centre' in Tomintoul.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 01 February 18 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Ello Forfarian

Thank you Forfarian I think I was getting mixed up with the museum in Tomintoul - So I would say a trip to Tomintoul ASAP to see what I can find via word of mouth - some of the Shaw family ended up on Main St - Tomintoul in later years and the Grants family are still there as far as I know . . .

As Inchrory was also marked down as under Tomintoul and with relatives in Corgarff I think basing myself at Tomintoul for a week or two would not go amiss . . .

Luckily in Tomintoul itself, most farms were based on the same road coming in and out of Tomintoul and most farms in the area have had family in them at one time or another . . .

It will be finding accommodation for one person that will be my problem as most places cater for families . . .

But just to say Aviemore will be my starting point . . .

Kind regards Indiana . . .  :)