Author Topic: Sarah Ann Miles  (Read 1738 times)

Offline hencarrai

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Ann Miles
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 January 17 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your input.
Looks like a birth cert is the only route now.
However, as ‘groom’ says GRO Index doesn’t show mother’s name.
So I guess birth cert will have father and just maybe useful place of birth, or more likely just Crosspenmaen.
Maureen, for interest;
Mary Miles married William Jones 1890, 6 years after Sarah Ann birth, I guess that doesn’t help though.

This probably doesn’t help either;
Eliz Miles 65 yr old widow on 1891 census was married to John Miles and as on the census had son William (1848). Her maiden name was Rowland.
Her sister Ann married John’s brother David Miles and they also had a son William (1844).
Am I right in saying a daughter of this William would be Great niece of Elizabeth (and John)????

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 05 January 17 19:25 GMT (UK) »
However, as ‘groom’ says GRO Index doesn’t show mother’s name. So I guess birth cert will have father and just maybe useful place of birth, or more likely just Crosspenmaen.

I'm afraid probably the opposite. It is more likely to just have the mother's name on it and a blank for where the father's name goes, meaning that the child is illegitimate. As suggested by Maureen, she could be the child of Mary Miles - was Mary a daughter of Elizabeth?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hencarrai

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 05 January 17 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Yes Mary was d/o Elizabeth and John.
So are you thinking Sarah Ann illegitimate d/o Mary and took William’s name after the marriage??

Not sure that I understand the relationship between the GRO Index and the birth certificate. If birth cert has mother's maiden name why doesn't the Index have it?

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 05 January 17 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Yes Mary was d/o Elizabeth and John.
So are you thinking Sarah Ann illegitimate d/o Mary and took William’s name after the marriage??

Not sure that I understand the relationship between the GRO Index and the birth certificate. If birth cert has mother's maiden name why doesn't the Index have it?

Yes, I think that Sarah Ann was born illegitimately to Mary Miles and was registered under her mother's name of Miles. This explains why there is no mother's maiden name shown on the birth certificate - her mother wasn't married. Usually on a BC the mother is shown as, for example Jane Smith formerly Brown (ie Brown being the maiden name) When a mother's maiden name isn't shown it usually (but not always) means there will be no father shown.

If Maureen has found the right marriage for Sarah it does look as if she took on her stepfather's name after her mother married.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hencarrai

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 06 January 17 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Ok, I understand.
Thanks everyone for your help.
I'll order certificate.
I still haven't found her in 1901 though.
As groom says, she could be anywhere as a domestic servant.