Author Topic: Lancastria  (Read 1123 times)

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lancastria
« on: Thursday 05 January 17 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Because there is now more information available of sinking of the Lancastria, I wondered if anyone on the site had a family crew member on her.  My dad, Eddie Harpur sailed on her from 1930-38 then came "ashore" but as he was in RNR he was recalled to another ship in September 39. I know there were other crew members sailing with him from Wexford as he had a photo taken 1933 of Wexford scout trip to Rome and they asked for any crew from there to be on photo.  I think there were 3 others and dad.  I am hoping someone can say if they made it home or not.  I sent the pic to a Wexford paper and they printed it around 1990.  Anne
Wexford Town..
Harpur. O'Rourke. Foley. Walsh. Furlong.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Lancastria
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 January 17 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Crew members lost in the tragedy are listed at http://ahoy.tk-jk.net/macslog/LossofHMTLancastriaatStNa.html . No obvious mention of any from Wexford, albeit you might spot a name or such you recognise.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 January 17 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for reply.  I don't think I knew any of their names.  It was just over a year after Dad left her that it happened so most likely lost old mates.  Sadly like most men of their time, he hardly spoke of it.
Wexford Town..

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 January 17 19:54 GMT (UK) »
You've possibly already read this, but I'll post the link anyhow, in case others are interested:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/3590194.stm

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 January 17 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for posting that as I haven't seen it before.  I was looking through Dad's discharge book and I think it was April 33 not 34 that they went on the cruise.  When the Lancastria was sunk, the captain of the Asturius, which was dads posting called him to his cabin.  He knew that Dad had served for so many years on her and told him the news.  As the article says, it was kept quiet and he knew Dad had friends on her.  Good man.  I have a copy of the newspaper with the photo of the Wexford scouts group and lots of people were spotting themselves or their dad in the picture. Anne
Wexford Town..

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 January 17 08:37 GMT (UK) »
Towards the end of this link, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-33092351 , you can see the picture of another memorial to the tragedy, this time in Clydebank, Scotland, where the ship was originally built. There is a fairly active Lancastria association in Scotland, http://www.lancastria.org.uk/ , and a few years ago, the Scottish government produced a commemorative medal for survivors and/or the next of kin of those who lost their lives.