Author Topic: Wilson Walker  (Read 1077 times)

Offline Marigold1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wilson Walker
« on: Thursday 05 January 17 21:34 GMT (UK) »
I am having difficulty establishing the parentage of Wilson Walker, born 1892 Ripley, Derbyshire.

According to GRO Indexes his birth was registered in Belper in D quarter 1892 and his mother's maiden name was Wilson.

I have no idea what happened to his father and mother, whoever they were, but Wilson appears to have been brought up by his grandparents Henry and Charlotte Walker, who in 1901 were living at 123 Parliament Street, Derby.

Any ideas/suggestions on this one would be most welcome.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wilson Walker
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 January 17 22:08 GMT (UK) »
The simplest solution is to buy the Birth Certificate!
Both parent;'s names will be on there.

And a snip at only £9.25 ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 January 17 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi

1901 census shows a married son John Walker , a daughter in law Alice and two grandchildren living with Henry and Charlotte walker in Derby.

I consider John and Alice are the parents of Wilson Walker, by 1911 Henry Walker is dead, Wilson is still living with his G.mother Charlotte and in the same street are John, Alice and their son George W.

However the only way to be certain is to purchase the birth registration certificate for Wilson Walker.

Henry and Charlotte had many other children, have you followed them through the census?

Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline Marigold1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 January 17 18:24 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks indeed for the suggestions.

I think, perhaps, that I should have given a little more background information as follows:

if I were researching my own ancestry I would be quite happy to purchase the birth certificate, but this time I am having to find more ingenious ways of obtaining information freely. What I am actually doing at the moment is editing and expanding the electronic Loughborough Roll of Honour: http://loughborough-rollofhonour.com/

There are 569 WW1 soldiers biographies  to be corrected and expanded and I am currently about half way through doing these.  This is voluntary work with no funding to support it. I myself pay for annual subscriptions to FindMyPast and Ancestry in order to do the work. (My nearest public library which offers access to these databases is too far away to make it feasible for me to do the work there.)

Finding a baptism entry for Wilson Walker born 1892 Ripley, Derbyshire, might solve the problem. I would be most grateful for any help on this.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 January 17 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi

1901 census shows a married son John Walker , a daughter in law Alice and two grandchildren living with Henry and Charlotte walker in Derby.

I consider John and Alice are the parents of Wilson Walker, by 1911 Henry Walker is dead, Wilson is still living with his G.mother Charlotte and in the same street are John, Alice and their son George W.
Spendlove

John Walker married Alice Holmes in 1897 so she is unlikely to be the mother of Wilson. :-\
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 January 17 19:12 GMT (UK) »
According to the Gro Wilson's mothers maiden name was Wilson. Don't suppose that helps, though

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 January 17 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Until you actually view the Birth Certificate, you might consider the possibility that Wilson Walker's Birth was registered in 1892 whilst his actual birth might have been earlier........look at the 1891 Census and you will see Wilson Walker c 1891 as a 3 month old son of WILSON WALKER from Yorkshire and Mary Jane Ford...who married Wilson Walker senior in Worksop district 1882
Beighton in Derbyshire is listed as the birth place of Wilson junior..............just an idea you might consider, particularly if you have other information that fits.

Derek.
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 January 17 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Wilson Walker born Beighton is listed in 1901 census  3259 /116/ 5
with parents Wilson and Mary.
This Wilson was with grandparents in 1901 so presumably there are two WWs.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 January 17 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi

In 1881 the family are living Lenton Nottingham

Walker. Charlotte. 62.   Head       Housekeeper.          N Wales
".         Henry.      36.   Son.  Moulder.                  Birmingham brierley hill
".         Charlotte. 34.   Wife.  Mender.                   Staffordshire darlaston
".         George.      7.   Son                                 Nottingham
"          John           4.     ".                                     "
".         Ruth.          1.   Dau                                    "

By 1891 Derby census Ruth appears to be Gertrude aged 11 there are 2 further children Harry aged 7
And Francis aged 5.

So the only child of Henry and Charlotte likely to have produced a child in 1892 is George, who would have been abt 18.

Only way forward is to purchase birth registration certificate for Wilson walker.

Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.