Author Topic: John & Elizabeth MANTEL emigrated to Australia after 1885  (Read 7409 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John & Elizabeth MANTEL emigrated to Australia after 1885
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 01:49 GMT (UK) »
Oh good on you Judith. ;D
I could not see her in 1871 despite what I thought was a thorough search. ::)

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 01:53 GMT (UK) »
I don't find Ancestry all that consistent with the links it provides.  Sometimes it seems to find lots of possibles and other times.......  I know you and I had looked and I'm sure JohnP would have as well.  ::)

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 08:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for finding her in 1871 Judith, seems her age is 6/7 years out and searching for place of birth of just Hackney doesn't find her. Looks to me as she's a Governess & Annuitant

John 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I agree Annuitant.
But I do wonder at the source of the annuity if it is the right woman.
Deceased relative perhaps.
Sue

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 04:50 GMT (UK) »
You're right - it is annuitant. The age is certainly not right, however on the balance of probablities - correct name, congruent occupation and the fact that she was in Carisbrooke on the previous census - I would think it's likely that it's the correct person.  :-\

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 23 January 17 02:12 GMT (UK) »

Hi,

Do you think that the word annuitant on the 1871 census should have been assistant and it had been mistranscribed when individual forms were copied into enumerator's books?

If the 1871 Elizabeth is the right one then it looks like she is in Devon in 1881 transcribed as FROGGALT at Ancestry and looks like it as the first T isn't crossed,

1881  RG11/2139  f.4  p.2    Withycombe Rawleigh, Devon
Point in View
Elizabeth FROGGALT    Head    Unm    44    Schoolmistress Elementary    Middlesex Hackney Wick

Could this be the Elizabeth FROGGATT that is in Paddington (Kensington registration district) in 1881,

1871  RG10/176  f.45  p.81  St Marylebone 
5 Dorchester Place
Joseph FROGGATT    Head    M    73    Commission Agent    Ashbury Derby
Elizabeth      "                Wife    M    39                                      Middlesex St Pancras

In 1881 Joseph is boarding without Elizabeth which would fit with the married Elizabeth found in 1881,

1881  RG11/154  f.111  p.40  St Marylebone
6 Broadley St
Joseph FROGGATT    Boarder   M    81    Salesman    Derby Ashburn

living in the household of Robert PALMER.

In 1891 both Joseph and Elizabeth are patients in the St Marylebone Infirmary in Kensington registration district.

RG12/29  f.174  p.26
Joseph    FROGGATT    M    86    Ret Butcher*    Derby    Deaf 5 1/2 years

*Joseph was a butcher in Marylebone in 1861

RG12/29  f.164  p.5
Elizabeth    FROGGATT    M  64    Dressmaker    St Pancras, London             

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 23 January 17 03:14 GMT (UK) »

Hi,

Do you think that the word annuitant on the 1871 census should have been assistant and it had been mistranscribed when individual forms were copied into enumerator's books?

If the 1871 Elizabeth is the right one then it looks like she is in Devon in 1881 transcribed as FROGGALT at Ancestry and looks like it as the first T isn't crossed,

1881  RG11/2139  f.4  p.2    Withycombe Rawleigh, Devon
Point in View
Elizabeth FROGGALT    Head    Unm    44    Schoolmistress Elementary    Middlesex Hackney Wick

Regards,
Daisy

I agree this would be a better match as an 1881 sighting.
Sue

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 30 January 17 05:11 GMT (UK) »
I have been directed to these postings by someone searching for a William Henry Walker and Ellen Elizabeth Walker nee Pointer in Wellington, NZ and wondering if William and John were siblings?  We have had no luck tracing them in Wellington mainly because of the common names.

Taking a punt re John Walker's death sometime after 1918 when his "wife" Ellen died!
The Indus shipping record records John Walker's age as being 25 years which would make his year of birth c 1859.
In Toowong cemetery there is a John Walker burial on 11 November 1940.  This John Walker was 82 years of age which would make his year of birth around 1858 (Burial Ref 1-54-12/13).

Is anyone able to search the newspaper death notices to see whether this is the right John Walker or not?

Incidentially, Martha Jane Agnes Walker's 1922 probate is on Familysearch.  Her address was given as View Road, North Melrose, Wellington occupation Ladies Hairdresser.  She left all her property to her "partner" William Lacey, Ladies Hairdresser.  His address was View Road, North Melrose.  In an affadavit he stated that Martha was "domiciled at 34 Buller street, Wellington and that she died at that address".  William died in 1926 and left his estate to his Housekeeper Mary Elizabeth MUNDY aka Elizabeth Mary MUNDY.

WNW

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 30 January 17 05:37 GMT (UK) »

In Toowong cemetery there is a John Walker burial on 11 November 1940.  This John Walker was 82 years of age which would make his year of birth around 1858 (Burial Ref 1-54-12/13).

Is anyone able to search the newspaper death notices to see whether this is the right John Walker or not?

WNW

The Telegraph (Brisbane) 11Nov1940 http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/184537700
WALKER, John of Brunswick Street, Valley (John Hislop and Sons).
Funeral notice same page
WALKER.—Relatives and Friends of Mrs. R. Gough, Mr. John Walker, Junr., and Mrs. E. Prince are invited to attend the Funeral of their beloved Father and Brother, Mr. John Walker, of 472 Brunswick St., Valley, to leave the Funeral Chapel, 17 Peel St., South Brisbane, This (Monday) Afternoon,
at 4.30 o'clock, for the Toowong Cemetery.
Also in http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/44913560

Qld death: 10/11/1940 B49980 John Walker; Father-John; Mother-Elizabeth Bennett
1946 B8948 Emily Prince; Father-John Walker; Mother-Elizabeth Bennett