Author Topic: chirk baptism or birth certificates  (Read 1273 times)

Offline pritchardgeo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
chirk baptism or birth certificates
« on: Friday 06 January 17 21:06 GMT (UK) »
wonder if I could ask for advice or look up please
have traced an ancestor back George and Elizabeth Pritchard marriage 1832 Llangollen
the birth of George 1814/1816 in chirk Denbighshire
I have the father of George as Thomas and the mother as ann.
I am unable to make a link between George and Thomas.
have been to and looked at the records of Clwyd family history but there is nothing there.
is it possible to send for a baptism or birth certificate for George please. and if so where from.
I do have a marriage of Thomas and ann in Oswestry 1804 but I cannot find I link betwwen the two.
thank you.brian

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: chirk baptism or birth certificates
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 January 17 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Birth Certificates only came into being with the onset of Civil Registration on 1st July 1837.

So, you won't find one of those! ;D

For the baptism, you will need to know in which church or chapel the baptism took place.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 January 17 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brian

There weren't any birth certs until 1837. Did you look in the Clwyd booklets - if it's not there, it's likely to be a non-conformist baptism or baptised in another parish or missing.
Some of the entries  for Chirk are a bit messy for that period - my ancestor's birth is difficult to read and had to get it enhanced.

I'll see what I can find among my collection tomorrow if no one else has checked before hand.

Gadget

PS - if he was baptised in Chirk, it would be St Marys - like me  8)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 January 17 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Just looked.

He was baptised 21 Aug 1814. Parents are as you said.
It is in the Clwyd booklets.

The copy will be on Findmypast: http://www.findmypast.co.uk/

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 January 17 21:25 GMT (UK) »
This should link you to the record:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KCGT-RQM

Offline pritchardgeo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 January 17 09:19 GMT (UK) »
thank you for the look ups and links please can you advise on how I should go about finding the Thomas and ann
thank you again.brian

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 January 17 09:28 GMT (UK) »
You said they married in Oswestry - have you got the entry or reference?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 January 17 09:35 GMT (UK) »
The Oswestry pair were Thomas Pritchard and Ann Jones. Have you got any other children for them?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 January 17 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Baptisms of other children in Chirk

13 Oct 1805 Thomas
29 July 1808 Thomas

The first Thomas might well have died.

I don't see any obvious deaths for either Thomas, snr, or Ann in Chirk. They might have moved on.

There is an Ann Pritchard, aged 70 and born in County, on  the 1841 census in Chirk but no other information. She would be anything between 70 and 74 as ages were rounded into 5 year age bands.  this would mean that she would have been in her 40s when George was born and in her 30s when married. Not sure it would be her.

Gadget