Author Topic: Dolgellau Workhouse  (Read 2427 times)

Offline Retpara

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dolgellau Workhouse
« on: Saturday 07 January 17 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone, it's been a while since I've been on this site, but I was wondering if anyone has knowledge of the information I have from Dolgellau Workhouse. My Gt Gt Grandfather Hugh Angel passed away here aged 76 on the 16th October 1885. It states he was formerly of Abergynolwyn. What I was wondering was, is this where he was admitted to the workhouse from or where he was born as the majority of his adult life he lived as a farmer on a farm Ty Croes, Nr Rhoslefain, as he was here on the 1881 Census. This farm was where my ancestors started their migration from. Firstly to Blaenau Ffestiniog and then onto South Wales.
Many thanks in advance for any information Retpara.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dolgellau Workhouse
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 January 17 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Dolgellau Poor Law Union, which administered the workhouse represented the following parishes:

Dolgellau, Llanegryn, Llanfaereth, Llangelynin, Llanymouddy, Llanaber, Llanddwywe is Graig, Llanddwywe uwch Graig, Llanelltyd, Llanenddwyn, Llanfinhangely Pennant, Talyllyn and Mallwyd.

He would have been a resident in one of these parishes?

See: http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Dolgelley/
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Retpara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 January 17 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the link KGarrad will check it out and see if I can get any info from it.
Retpara.

Offline chwiliwr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 January 17 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Both addresses would have been within the area of the Dolgelley Union. Abergynolwyn in Talyllyn or Llanfihangel y Pennant parish and Rhoslefain in Llangelynnin or Llanegeryn.

I don't suppose that helps very much!

Offline Retpara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 January 17 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much chwiliwr, any input will be a help trying to find which road to go down, on my Gt Gt Grandfathers death at the workhouse, going by their paperwork says he was born in Abergynolwen, but on all the census states that he was born in Pennal, Merionethshire. Had some great help from a member by the name of Br1gau but he couldn't find anything on the Pennal parish records regarding my Gt Gt Grandfathers birth.
Cheers Retpara.