Author Topic: Find My Past Subscription  (Read 16841 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Find My Past Subscription
« Reply #81 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Have you logged out completely? That's the only way I could see all the options. Now I have to find my password to log back in.  ::)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 21:16 GMT (UK) »
  Well, I eventually worked out how to log out, which was not easy! But it seems to have worked. It all seems pretty silly - one would think the link on their email might have worked better.
   Now to try and get back in. ???

Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 21:23 GMT (UK) »
  Well, I eventually worked out how to log out, which was not easy! But it seems to have worked. It all seems pretty silly - one would think the link on their email might have worked better.
   Now to try and get back in. ???

I know, I expected it to take me straight to the page. I think for the moment I'll just stay on what I have as that suits me.

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 21:33 GMT (UK) »
   Am I just being dim? I still cannot find anything other than Pro.

Someone suggested (farther up in the thread) that logging out before trying the link might work. Have you tried that?
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Wednesday 29 November 17 09:13 GMT (UK) »
So basically the 12 month Starter sub is now £72, the Plus which includes 1939 census and Irish, UK Parish, Military and Travel records is now £120 and the Pro which is their entire global collection including the 1939 Register and Exclusive newspaper archive is £156.  I guess the extra £36 for all their records is less than £1 a week but for people on limited incomes that is more than they can afford.

If you take out the Plus at £120, and then want to view newspapers the subs for British Newspaper Archives are either £12.95/month if you only want one month, £8.64/month for 3 months, billed every 3 months (that's £25.92)  and £6.67/month for 12 months billed annually (that's £80.04).

So as they say you pays your money and takes your choice.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Wednesday 29 November 17 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Very slightly off topic but I think we have to remember that genealogy is a hobby and if you want to do it properly you can’t expect to do it for free or on the cheap. I’m afraid I get a bit cross when people say they can’t afford to pay for subscriptions or certificates, when you consider that even the most expensive sub here costs less than 50p a day. I consider that very good value, as it would cost me far more than that to visit different archives and offices to get that same information. Firms such as FindMyPast and Ancestry are running a business, so obviously are out to make a profit. There are free sites where people can make a start on their tree, but as I said, if you want to do it properly you should expect to pay for information.

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Wednesday 29 November 17 10:49 GMT (UK) »
One of the answers to the newspaper access issue is to use the free offer on British Newspaper Archive (if you've used the offer before get a friend or relation to try it on your behalf with another e-mail address) and/or join a library where they allow members home use of Gale. Then opt for Starter or Plus.

Blue

Offline MagicMirror

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Wednesday 29 November 17 11:48 GMT (UK) »

So as they say you pays your money and takes your choice.

The problem is that the old £120 Britain subscription included the newspapers but not the Irish records. Now it has the Irish records but not the newspapers. So those of use who want the newspapers but have no need for the non UK records are feeling slightly aggrieved.
I will be hit with a significant increase if I ever let my subscription lapse. :(

And as an aside, although the 1939 register is presented as a premium dataset and not for beginners, someone starting out their research today would probably want to look at it before moving further back.

Offline StevenG

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Thursday 30 November 17 16:32 GMT (UK) »
I just received the email. I keep an Ancestry sub running permanently and buy a month on FindMyPast on occasions if they put up some parish register images I haven't seen, and I use the rest of the month to blanket read a few weeks of the local newspapers. I have no interest in World or Irish records or the 1939 register. The price is suddenly almost twice what I have been paying.

I don't think I'll bother again. Thanks FindMyPast.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk