Author Topic: Jane HENDERSON, Enniskellin, Fermanagh  (Read 7465 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jane HENDERSON, Enniskellin, Fermanagh
« Reply #18 on: Friday 13 January 17 09:22 GMT (UK) »
In your other ('Deciphering') topic you said 'I'm assuming this Jane Annie was her sibling's daughter.'

A reasonable primary assumption, but given the estimated birthyears involved, just putting out the secondary possibility that Jane Annie could have been addressing a Great Aunt.

I had the same thought, gaffy, when I was looking at the photo. etc. 

If it helps to choose suitable candidates, the hairstyle was slowly going our of fashion by 1911 as it originally been developed/created to balance the broad brimmed  hats that  were in fashion in the early part of the date range we gave.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Colleen Archbold

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 13 January 17 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Yes i wrote up a sort of chart to see whether "aunt" or "great aunt " would be more likely.  If it's great aunt i don't like my  chances of filling in the gaps. 

I did find  a Catherine Henderson born 1845 (2 years after my Jane) with a daughter born in 1889. ..which fits.

I would need to subscribe to the website to get details. 

Offline Colleen Archbold

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 13 January 17 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Quote from: Colleen

Jane Brien age 20 in 1911-
[url=http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Fermanagh/Rockfield_or_Killaclean/Drumsluice/521738
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Fermanagh/Rockfield_or_Killaclean/Drumsluice/521738[/url]
Drumsluice townland-
https://www.townlands.ie/fermanagh/lurg/derryvullan-and-islands/drumsluice/

Family in 1901- surname Breen (quite common in Fermanagh)
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Fermanagh/Newparton/Drumcullion/1353224
Several townlands in Fermanagh called Drumcullion but based on 1911 location this one is most likely- both Drumcullion & Drumsluice are in Irvinestown Poor Law Union/Registration district- now called Irvinestown)-
https://www.townlands.ie/fermanagh/tirkennedy/magheracross/drumcullion/

Birth of Jane Breen gives mother as Catherine McCaffery-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1887/02560/1946811.pdf

Thank you. That's a lot to take in!

Offline Colleen Archbold

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 15 January 17 03:40 GMT (UK) »
My g gm Jane HENDERSON  married  Thomas WHITING  and bought land at Balaklava South Australia. 

They called their property RIVERSDALE.

I'm wondering if that could give any clues to where her family lived in Northern Ireland from about 1840 - 1870.

I've  found ARCHDALL (Archdale) family who owned an estate that at that time built a house Riversdale.

Would there be records of the families who rented house and land from this estate? 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 15 January 17 09:51 GMT (UK) »
The Archdales may have estate papers in PRONI Belfast- you can search their e-catalogue but perhaps nothing in the way of tenants.

Photo of Riversdale House near Ballycassidy-
http://lordbelmontinnorthernireland.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/riversdale-house.html

Going back to the possible Jane Annies mentioned earlier (and still pure speculation) based on proximity then Drumcullion (replies #15 & #16) is in the area, Drumclay would have been north of Enniskillen but is now part of it. Gortmullan borders Co. Cavan and Cooltrain is east of Enniskillen Airport.

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Colleen Archbold

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 14:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info about places . I'm struggling with townlands, county, diocese, etc. They seem to change names over time. I'm sure i need to understand  where places are before i can get my answers. So thanks for those notes.

I need to print out a map i think and write the names on it.

Was Riversdale house  near any of the places that come up in a search for Jane Annie?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 20 January 17 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jkentbryant

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 19 January 19 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Colleen—are you still active on Henderson?   My gg grandmother was Margaret Henderson b 1843 in Ireland.  Father was listed as Wm Henderson of Ireland.  Do you or others researching this have DNA done on Ancestry?   My dad and I match a descendant of a John Henderson b 1833 in Fermanagh who moved to Australia.  The match is quite high.  Would love to know if all our puzzle pieces match up.  Jenny

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline Colleen Archbold

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 19 January 19 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Yes i am still searching for my Jane Henderson's parents or any other info.

Yes i had my DNA tested ( family tree, basic one) i ran it through  Gedmatch but so far I've had no clue regarding  the Henderson  connection.

The Margaret you mention may be a cousin to Jane. Looks like they were both born 1843...but both have father William .

I have seen references  to a John Henderson  in Aust but took only a cursory look because i couldn't  see a connection.

Maybe we could run our  dna results through gedmatch .