Author Topic: Jane HENDERSON, Enniskellin, Fermanagh  (Read 7482 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jane HENDERSON, Enniskellin, Fermanagh
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 12 January 17 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 January 17 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the Crozier  info. At first look it doesn't seem to fit  for dates and places. I'll go through it again though.

i know... it was just an example of what can be found on the site!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 12 January 17 21:11 GMT (UK) »

"..Her brother Thomas, born 1841 was in Adelaide SA too. In papers he left in our city library  his son said he was an Ulster Scot  from Enniskillen."

Who left the papers in the library....Thomas, or his son?

Can you give some more detail about this please. Brother Thomas was in Adelaide.....did not live there?....was visiting?.......why are there papers in the library....what was his line of work......how have you identified him to be a brother to your Jane?

Who is the son (of Thomas, the brother of your Jane). Did this son live in SA?.

On the marriage certificate for Jane HENDERSON and Thomas WHITING....what church please, and who are the witnesses? 

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 12 January 17 21:18 GMT (UK) »

Research into a number of Irish families, containing abstracts of prerogative wills, genealogies, etc., made by H. A. Richey, 1900.
Format:    Manuscript
Subjects:    
Baird, family of
Breakey, family of
Brown, family of
Bullingbrook, family of
Clarke, family of
Crozier, family of

Dublin: National Library of Ireland, Ms. 8316
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 12 January 17 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Two pages of Fermanagh based Jane Annie or Annie Jane females around their late teens/early 20s in 1911, just in case they are of help at some point.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01j9k/
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Colleen Archbold

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 13 January 17 05:41 GMT (UK) »
Thomas, Jane's brother settled in Adelaide and married. Had 2 children. Wife died. Married again had more children.

Thomas wrote his family tree ( down from him, not back to ancestors) and  had his paperwork for the purchase and leases of land in Adelaide. His daughter added to those papers when he died and put them in the Adelaide library. I think there was a push at the time to do that to record SA's pioneers.

One of Thomas's sons was a politician  and involved with Mawson's expeditions. He was a colourful character , not much liked. He was the first misister for foreign affairs and spent much of his life overseas. So there is much info about him in historical files. He had no children. 

The other children of Jane's brother Thomas are recorded . Two had children and I've  traced them but not to living people. That's something I will do.

I have personal letters from  lady who confirmed Thomas's children but she has now died.

The marriage certificate of Jane to my g gf Thomas WHITING  shows them being married at the residence of Thomas's father as was the custom then for many people. I have the WHITING  genealogy  back many generations.

The witnesses to Jane and Thomas wedding were her brother Thomas and his brother  Richard. I've met a descendant of Richard and we've confirmed the genealogy .

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 13 January 17 08:36 GMT (UK) »
I found a Jane Annie BRIEN in the area in the 1911 census living with her mother. Landlord is Thos CROZIER.

Jane Brien age 20 in 1911-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Fermanagh/Rockfield_or_Killaclean/Drumsluice/521738
Drumsluice townland-
https://www.townlands.ie/fermanagh/lurg/derryvullan-and-islands/drumsluice/

Family in 1901- surname Breen (quite common in Fermanagh)
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Fermanagh/Newparton/Drumcullion/1353224
Several townlands in Fermanagh called Drumcullion but based on 1911 location this one is most likely- both Drumcullion & Drumsluice are in Irvinestown Poor Law Union/Registration district- now called Irvinestown)-
https://www.townlands.ie/fermanagh/tirkennedy/magheracross/drumcullion/

Birth of Jane Breen gives mother as Catherine McCaffery-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1887/02560/1946811.pdf

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 13 January 17 09:01 GMT (UK) »
In your other ('Deciphering') topic you said 'I'm assuming this Jane Annie was her sibling's daughter.'

A reasonable primary assumption, but given the estimated birthyears involved, just putting out the secondary possibility that Jane Annie could have been addressing a Great Aunt.