Author Topic: Morgans at "The Cross" Little Reynoldston / Penrice  (Read 870 times)

Offline maryp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Morgans at "The Cross" Little Reynoldston / Penrice
« on: Thursday 12 January 17 20:56 GMT (UK) »
My Morgan family lived at "The Cross" in what was sometimes listed as Reynoldston and sometimes Penrice. On maps it's technically "Little Reynoldston". 

My question is, if anyone is from that area.. was there a farm/house called "The Cross" or does it refer to the area? I know there is "Little Reynoldston" farm further up the street and on some maps "The Cross" is marked as being between the crossroards and that farm.. on the same side of the road. (map attached)

Info about the family if anyone is interested:
William Morgan b. 1773 Porteynon married Sarah Smith. They were in the above area in very early 1800s. (based on children's baptisms)  William was at The Cross until his death in 1855.  After that his son, Richard Morgan, b. 1820, Reynoldston, lived there. He was married to Elizabeth Williams of Porteynon.  Richard lived at The Cross  until his death in 1901. He was very active in agricultural shows.

Richard's sons did not settle at The Cross. Richard Jr lived in Penrice Village and William moved to Swansea.

William's father John was born in Reynoldston in 1730 (son of William Morgan). John settled at Moor Corner in Porteynon.  I'm assuming that John's father may have left some land where John's son, William, eventually settled.

I'm descended through John of Moor Corner's son, Thomas, who settled at Moor Corner.  Thanks in advance for any info on "The Cross".
Ratcliffe, Houghton, Pilling, Johnson, Salisbury, Yarwood : Cheshire and Lancashire
Rundle, Clark, Lobb, Cock, Ede, Broad, White, Brice?, Mann : Cornwall
Wardell; Harrison, Richardson, West: Lincolnshire
Kieft, Morgan, Bevan, Hullin, Beynon: Gower, GLA, Wales
Stanford, Carroll, Wrynn, MacGovern : Leitrim, IRE
Stanford, Mason ; Meagher/Mahar, Bannon, Connolly: Ireland
Keen: England and New Haven, CT
...and many more!

Offline jpwills

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Morgans at "The Cross" Little Reynoldston / Penrice
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 22:16 BST (UK) »
Hi I have just started to trace my family tree and I think that I may be a descendant of the Morgans on my mothers side.
My grandfather was Arthur Percival Morgan who I believe was the son of William and Elizabeth.

Offline Mary Pitkin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Genealogist, historical romance reader, fangurl #Poldark Proud liberal, #Patriots , #RedSox #nofracking #gunsense #digitaldivide #WeAreNotThis #resist
    • View Profile
Re: Morgans at "The Cross" Little Reynoldston / Penrice
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,
 I had to re-register. Yes, we are related. Email me at mpitkin (at) live.com
I have a pdf version of all of my Morgan info.
I have your Arthur Percival.. I don't have his mother's maiden name, but all info on his father William's family.
  Mary Pitkin