Author Topic: Parents of George Langridge b.1795 m.2/11/1817 St John the Baptist Lewes  (Read 797 times)

Offline langridgej

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parents of George Langridge b.1795 m.2/11/1817 St John the Baptist Lewes
« on: Friday 13 January 17 11:43 GMT (UK) »
I have been carrying out considerable research on my direct line ancestors and have reached a stumbling block with tracing the parents of a particular George Langridge.  I know for certain he married Elizabeth Breach on 2nd November 1817 at St John the Baptist Church in Lewes (marriage registers) and have subsequent Census records confirming his residence with his family in Lewes for 1841, 1851 and 1861.  These census records give his place of birth as Chailey and his age gives a calculated dob of 1795/6.  I can't find any birth records that match and am now looking for some inspiration.

I have found two births for George Langridge, one in 1796 in East Grinstead and one in 1795 in Horsted Keynes (thanks to theWeald.org).  I would love the latter to be the George I am seeking as I can then trace this link way back!

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of George Langridge b.1795 m.2/11/1817 St John the Baptist Lewes
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 January 17 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Welcome to rootschat

To eliminate
There is a George Langridge in Horsted Keynes in 1841 born around 1795 with a David & Sarah Langridge who could be his parents. He could be lodging at the address as it is showing as a separate household
HO107 /Piece 1114 Book 7 f21 p8
Does that match the Horsted Keynes baptism you have  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline langridgej

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 January 17 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosie,
I came across that George in the 1841 Census. Interestingly he is 45 years old and living with a Richard Hills (15) who I believe to be Richard Hills Langridge, the illegitimate son of that George's sister Sarah.  That would lend strength to the argument that this is the son of George Langridge and Sarah Holford. 
Unfortunately there can be no doubt that the George whose parents I seek was living in Lewes with his wife Elizabeth and son Martin in 1841 as per the Census. I doubt he could be in two places at one time! Hence my desperation.

HO107 Piece 1120 Book number   6 Folio number   10 Page number   13
Record set   1841 England, Wales & Scotland Census

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 January 17 08:47 GMT (UK) »
What names did your George give his children?    Within the correct time frame there are baptisms for a George Langridge in Horsted Keynes, East Grinstead and Fletching.  Also a burial in East Grinstead in 1797.   

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 January 17 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Another thought.  Where were the children baptised?   Could they be non conformist?

Offline langridgej

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 January 17 18:00 GMT (UK) »
My George's children were Martin b.1818, John b.1820 and Elizabeth b.1825.  They were all baptised at All Saints, Lewes.  He died in 1862 in Lewes.

The George born in Horsted Keynes is probably the one referred to in my previous post and is beginning to look more doubtful for the reasons given in my post.

I can find no further details of the George that was born in East Grinstead in 1796 or the one buried in East Grinstead (St Swithuns) in 1797.  If anyone has any further information about that George or any others in the time frame I would be delighted to hear it.

Another source has found a family of Langridges living in Chailey at the right time, namely a John Langridge married to Mary Winter in November 1792 with 4 children, John Martin b.1793, William b.1796, Mary Ann b.1797 and Elizabet b.1800 (but no George!).  Any further information of this family would also bee much appreciated.

Too many Langridges, too many Georges but not enough records!