Author Topic: SUMMER HILL near Orange NSW  (Read 1895 times)

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SUMMER HILL near Orange NSW
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 14 January 17 19:52 GMT (UK) »
I'll put that deceased estate record on my 'to do' list for next visit to SRO. 

A bit of a sideline but I investigated the HENLEN family who came from Germany to Bathurst in the 1850s. Not part of my family.  I was searching for a Mary Ann HENLEN who married in Bathurst to Joseph FAWCETT and the German family looked like a promising match until I did the math with their arrival date.  I believe that the goldrush saw many immigrants from places other than the U.K.  Perhaps Kinstler was part of that. 

J

Offline Wilson Hunter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 January 17 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi J

I did a quick search on Ancestry, found a tree with a photo of Thomas Astill.

Enjoy
WH

copyright image removed by moderator
Wilson, Pearce, Hervett, Smith, Olding, Cotton, Stenton

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 15 January 17 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant!   Thank you!    J

Offline Wilson Hunter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 15 January 17 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi J

this maybe worth a read

An Astill family history : the story of an emigrant family, who left England to settle in Australia, together with their many descedants / by Peter William Cantrill.

Bookmark: http://trove.nla.gov.au/version/177705305
http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/163061909?selectedversion=NBD48650722

WH

Offline Wilson Hunter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 15 January 17 10:21 GMT (UK) »
HI J

Looks like they had some influence in the town, with a retirement village with the family name.

Astill Court, Orange. http://www.upa.org.au/Locations/CentralWest/AstillCourtOrange.aspx

it maybe that this is build on what was the farm. maybe worth an email to the local council. 

WH

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 15 January 17 10:46 GMT (UK) »
I have Peter's book, which is no longer in print.  I am in touch with Peter and he is considering other ways of making the book available to interested persons.  The book is about 400 pages of tree and text and I've been able to assist other Astill descendants by referring to Peter's book. There is also an Astill tree by Ken Black which is parallel but not exactly the same and available as a download.  Peter and Ken apparently did some of the research together. 

There are many Astill descendants and quite a number of them are also researchers.  Several decades past I attended an Astill reunion at Orange.  Astill family members came out on three or four different ships, settled in the Orange area and started populating the countryside.  Not sure where Astill Court fits in so I'll have a look at the link, thank you. 

J

Offline skipper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 11 January 22 07:12 GMT (UK) »
Re: Cantrill & Astill families Borenore, Orange district.
I don't know when this original post was placed but I just happened on it. My gt. gt. grandparents (Whitehead) came from Borenore & both your families are mentioned in a few documents that I have as they had adjoining properties. I'm sure that I have some photocopies of some school pics of some of the family (not very good). Please let me know if your interested & I will look them out.
Cheers,
Skipper
whitehead rian/ryan graham johnston pettett bayley barber hewitt britton maslen rogers saul richards nelson udy hadfield

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 12 January 22 08:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Skipper, I would be very interested to view those photographs please.  I will send you a message with my email address.  There are very many Astill and Cantrill descendants (the Astill millions are people, not dollars!) and quite a few of those descendants are also researching the family so with your permission I will pass any information along.  I will have to dive into my records to remind myself which particular Astills/Cantrills were at Borenore as my Astill research has been sitting idle for some time.  This might just be what I need to get kick-started again! 

Peter Cantrill died a couple or more years ago.  Ken Black has also produced an "Astill" book similar but not the same as Peter's. 

Kind regards, Jennifer