Author Topic: Worst writing on a census?  (Read 441 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Worst writing on a census?
« on: Saturday 14 January 17 10:35 GMT (UK) »
I've just managed to find my ggg aunt's family in Leicester in the 1891 census. It's the only UK census she appears on, as she spent most of her life in India and Singapore, and it's taken some digging! I can't blame Ancestry for most of it though. The main problems are on the original sheet.

Her name is Ethel rather than Esther. The ages of her and her husband seem to be transposed, and there are a lot of lines through things made when statistics were being generated.

The handwriting is HORRIBLE. He never crosses a "t". Vowels are indistinguishable. "H" in "Hastings" looks nothing like the one in "Head".

If I'd been a teacher back then, the chap would have been rapped across the knuckles for work of this quality.

If I was transcribing, I would be forced by the rule of "what you see" to put the occupation for the child at the top as "Sehala" - so you can guess how the rest ends up. Or you can see for yourself:

RG12/2495 fol 109 pg 22.

I never thought to search for children who had been born in "Lingapare, Strart Lattlemenls", but the letters at the beginnings of "Leicester" and "Scholar" are virtually identical.

I can't even put a name to the scribe - the enumerator's walk sheet and the headings on the first pages are in a different, clearer, hand!

Can you do better? (or should that be worse?)
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Worst writing on a census?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 January 17 12:16 GMT (UK) »
I can't even put a name to the scribe - the enumerator's walk sheet and the headings on the first pages are in a different, clearer, hand!

Can you do better? (or should that be worse?)

This is the enumerator
Mapstone, Mapston.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 January 17 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Yes, but JH didn't fill in the details.

The enumerator's walk sheet (sheet 1) seems to be invariably filled in by the enumerator themselves, so that ought to be John Houghton.

The headings on sheets 2-14 are in the same hand as sheet 1, with the details in the bad writing. On sheet 15, "Leicester" in the heading matches sheet 1. The rest of the heading, along with the whole of the rest of the district, is in the bad writing.

I have to assume that JH fell ill and someone else took over.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 January 17 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Yes, but JH didn't fill in the details.  The enumerator's walk sheet (sheet 1) seems to be invariably filled in by the enumerator themselves, so that ought to be John Houghton.

I have to assume that JH fell ill and someone else took over.

Is it not possible that the transfer of data from walk-sheet to collated record was done by more than one person?  One dictating while another writes?  I think that may have been found convenient, but maybe another source of errors?
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young