Author Topic: William Edward Armytage Axon  (Read 729 times)

Offline Lucy M Evans

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Edward Armytage Axon
« Reply #9 on: Friday 02 November 18 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi! I think we may have corresponded by email last year - about St James Rectory? Happy if you want to contact me again via email. I have several images of WEA Axon plus I did visit Summerfield (Sir Harry Smith's house) which was opposite Fairfield and looks very like it! Fairfield looked so huge from the photo in Manchester Archives I knew Axon could not have lived there as renter or owner - I found out it was a vegetarian guest house. Axon was then president of the Vegetarian Society and the couple who ran it were friends. Axon was at Fairfield for the last year or so of his illness and it was there that Manchester University actually came to the house to confer a degree on him. He died a few weeks later. Sorry this is all a bit scrappy as I'm only mid way through my biography and I put the Fairfield stuff to one side. I'll dig it out again and confirm details. He was an amazing man and glad you're planning to add him to the blog. Before he moved into Fairfield he lived on Plymouth Grove - moving there from Southport after the death of his second wife. Anyway let me know what is useful and I'll sort it out over the next week,  Best wishes, Lucy

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.