Author Topic: William Edward Armytage Axon  (Read 1428 times)

Offline Lucy M Evans

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Edward Armytage Axon
« Reply #9 on: Friday 02 November 18 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi! I think we may have corresponded by email last year - about St James Rectory? Happy if you want to contact me again via email. I have several images of WEA Axon plus I did visit Summerfield (Sir Harry Smith's house) which was opposite Fairfield and looks very like it! Fairfield looked so huge from the photo in Manchester Archives I knew Axon could not have lived there as renter or owner - I found out it was a vegetarian guest house. Axon was then president of the Vegetarian Society and the couple who ran it were friends. Axon was at Fairfield for the last year or so of his illness and it was there that Manchester University actually came to the house to confer a degree on him. He died a few weeks later. Sorry this is all a bit scrappy as I'm only mid way through my biography and I put the Fairfield stuff to one side. I'll dig it out again and confirm details. He was an amazing man and glad you're planning to add him to the blog. Before he moved into Fairfield he lived on Plymouth Grove - moving there from Southport after the death of his second wife. Anyway let me know what is useful and I'll sort it out over the next week,  Best wishes, Lucy

Offline pjrussell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 05 January 20 08:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lucy

I have stumbled across your interest in W.E.A Axon. He is my great great grandfather. My great grandmother was Sophie Haddow.  Sophie was one of 2300 signatories on the 1893 suffrage petition in NZ.  https://nzhistory.govt.nz/suffragist/sophie-haddow
Archives NZ want descendants of signatories to write biographies of them so I was thinking about what would have made her sign the petition. She may have been influenced by Emily Pankhurst who was in Manchester when Sophie was and because of William maybe she was surrounded by interesting people!

I couldn't find another way to contact you so thought I'd try this.

I am also interested in the book you are writing - I can't see it has been published yet?

Thanks

Offline Lucy M Evans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 05 January 20 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi! Thanks so much for getting in touch. I'm in contact with Suzie Haddow and her father George in NZ (Sophie and Joe's grandson through their son Ughtred) and they've become great friends via email. Through them I have found out a great deal about Sophie and her husband Joe. I'm still writing my biography of Axon - about 5 chapters to go! I'm not sure anyone would publish it as will hit the usual problem of being too long and detailed. But I'll make it freely available as PDF or something. I think Sophie would have been inspired by Miss Lindsay in Manchester - she was a family friend and strong on women's rights. Axon was a firm supporter of equal rights - he was a great supporter of the black activists in the USA. He certainly knew and supported the Manchester feminists like Miss Lydia Becker. I've not found any connection with the Axons and Pankhursts - and they are really a slightly later wave. Joe and Sophie emigrated in 1891 so I think it was Miss Lindsay, Miss Becker and probably Mrs Jacob Bright who were likely influences - if she needed any coming from parents like Axon and his wife Jane! Another family friend, Miss Mathilde Hompes, who was significant in the vegetarian movement and a teacher would also have been an influence. She taught Sophie German and stayed in contact all her life with her. Here are two extracts from my draft that might help:

"Joe describes both WEAA and Sophie as having chests of ‘strong tempered steel’ but even so at one stage Sophie suffered weakness and ill health. In 1886 she was sent to stay with Miss Lindsay in her rooms at Onchan in the Isle of Man. Miss Lindsay was a Girton College scholar, a mathematician who as a woman could not be awarded a full degree, an absurdity that lasted for Girton College until 1947"

1881 "Women’s Protective and Provident League at the Mechanic’s Institution: WEAA  presided over the meeting.  (The League primarily supported working women who had as yet no trade union to represent them and it was planned to open a branch in Manchester. Mrs Jacob Bright, Miss Becker and other feminists WEAA knew were present. WEAA must have been both highly trusted and regarded to be asked to take the chair role at such a progressive meeting.)"

Hope this helps - I can send more information on Sophie if you'd like it. Do you know Suzie Haddow?
Best wishes
Lucy

Offline pjrussell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 08 January 20 08:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thanks so much for that info.  Kate Sheppard was the best known suffragist in NZ and she was influential in the temperance union in NZ. Sophie could also have been influenced by her. 
My mother Linley was a cousin of George Haddow and has left me all her papers and info she collected as she was a keen family historian. Her brother Bill (with a middle name of Axon) is also an interested family historian and will also be interested in your info - I will pass on your message.
I went to a Haddow reunion many years ago now. Mum was often in touch with George.

Thanks again and it would be really interesting to get a copy of your book once it is complete.  It would be good to keep in touch too.

Offline Lucy M Evans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 08 January 20 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi! I'd send my email address but know that's not recommended on Rootschat. But if you're in touch with George or Suzie Haddow they have it and could pass on. It's great re your mother and uncle - and how brilliant to have Axon as a name. If you come across any mentions that you think might be good for the biography I'd be so glad to have them. In particular any letters between the UK and New Zealand branches up to 1920 ish would be interesting. I keep resisting the temptation to write about Axon's descendants - but someone should do that book! Best wishes, Lucy

Offline carabakercoleman

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 05 February 20 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lucy
Not related by blood but I'm a descendant of the Axon family that adopted William. My ancestral line is via my grandfather who's father was Aloysius Axon, I think it was his father that took in William.
Happy to help with any info I have from my genealogy research. Interested to read the biography!