Author Topic: Help with information or photos about Laghouat prisoner of war camp in Algeria  (Read 1907 times)

Offline jmec73

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi,

I'm researching my late grandfather who was imprisoned at Laghouat prisoner of war camp in April 1942 following the running aground of HMS Havock. Aside from what's on Wikipedia I've not been able to find out much about the camp or locate any photos. If anyone has any information or photos or relevant links I'd be very grateful.

Thanks for any help.
Jon.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with information or photos about Laghouat prisoner of war camp in Algeria
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 January 17 15:07 GMT (UK) »
The link provided by still_looking refers to the book "There and Back again" on Amazon at
https://www.amazon.co.uk/There-Back-Again-Navigators-Story/dp/1873257228 which looks well worth buying.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline jmec73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Help with information or photos about Laghouat prisoner of war camp in Algeria
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 January 17 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thanks so much for all the time and helpful links with this, it's very much appreciated! Jon

Offline Paul Shipley

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 November 18 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi My Father was in the RAF and was in Laghouat camp from 1940 -1942 - much longer than the navy guys!! I have a number of photos of him and the camp. Whilst in the camp he made a friend - Douglas Hudson who wrote an excellent book called a Navigator's Story and recalls his time in the camp and also has some pics of the camp some of which have my Father in them. Am happy to share them with you? Paul Shipley

Offline jmec73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul, many thanks for the reply, and sorry for the slow reply. I'd love to see the pics of the camp, thanks very much. I'll DM you my email address. Best wishes, Jon.