Author Topic: Anna Dunbar b 23 SEP 1801 Keith, Banffshire  (Read 4351 times)

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anna Dunbar b 23 SEP 1801 Keith, Banffshire
« on: Wednesday 18 January 17 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Searching for additional info on Anna Dunbar b 23 SEP 1801  Keith, Banffshire.

On another site I receive a hint for her in the 1871 census but other sites find no match

Parents

John Dunbar ( no birth or death info)

Anna Barber 1775–?

Siblings are

John Dunbar 25 SEP 1797 • Keith, Banffshire, Scotland- Before 1851 in Canada

James Dunbar 30 JUL 1799 • Keith, Banffshire, Scotland- ?   Believe he was a shoemaker in Keith.  Wife Margaret McKonnachie b 1805

Dunbar, Clark,Bain, Lipp, Campbell, Pope, Barnard, Handcock, McAdams,Creath

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Anna Dunbar b 23 SEP 1801 Keith, Banffshire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 January 17 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Earlier thread on the Dunbar family http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=761204.0

In my tree is John Dunbar, who fathered an illegitimate child by Elizabeth Cuthbert. This was Mary Dunbar, born 20 March 1830, died 6 December 1888 in Keith. I have no information at all about John Dunbar. I wonder if he could be Anna's brother? When did 'your' John Dunbar emigrate to Canada?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 January 17 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Here is a possible scenario:

An Ann Dunbar married John Gray 12 Dec 1820 Keith

1841 showing in Moray not Banffshire she and John Gray at address given as Little Bush
1851 and 1861 She and John Gray are recorded at Wester Bush.
1871 and 1881 She is recorded as Ann/ Anne Dunbar (a widow recorded under her maiden name) 1871 address is Cottartown 1881 is Lonedale of Muldearie

Libindx (excelent site worth checking out) has a death for Annie Gray m/s Dunbar -b about 1801 -spouse John Gray Bush of Muldearie - died 4 Nov 1885. Headstone ref Ke(0)52.

Scotland's People has a death in 1885 for Ann Gray/ Ann Dunbar age 85 Ref 128/14 Boharm RD.
The only way to "prove" that this is your Anna Dunbar would be to download this death cert from SP - hopefully the names of parents would be recorded.

Hope this helps

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 January 17 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Some added info.

My John Dunbar Birth 25 SEP 1797 • Keith, Banffshire, Scotland Death before 1851 Canada must have arrived in Canada between 1834 and 1836.  A daughter Margaret was born about 1836 in Canada

The Canada 1851 census shows his spouse Margaret (Bain) 1798-1890  as a widow living in Brantford, Ontario

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 January 17 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the lead to the marriage to John Gray in Keith and the further lead on the death in 1885.

Just downloaded the death record and the parents are listed as John Dunbar and Ann Barber. 

Another piece to the puzzle.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 January 17 20:48 GMT (UK) »
I see that John Dunbar and Margaret Bain had several of a family before 1830, so if he was the father of Mary Dunbar born in 1830, it would have been adultery and the Kirk Session could hardly have overlooked it. But there's nothing in the KS records so it looks as if it must have been a different John Dunbar.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 January 17 19:35 GMT (UK) »
My info on the family of John Dunbar  and Margaret Bain is that first child was born April 1824 which was rather soon after the marriage. :-) Assume that it was possible that Margaret was pregnant. 

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 January 17 20:02 GMT (UK) »
My info on the family of John Dunbar  and Margaret Bain is that first child was born April 1824 which was rather soon after the marriage. :-) Assume that it was possible that Margaret was pregnant.
When civil registration started in 1855, the authorities were astonished and horrified to find that one in five births in Banffshire was out of wedlock. And that doesn't include the ones who arrived less than a decorous interval after the wedding.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 January 17 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Was John Dunbar a "Carpenter" by chance.

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.