Author Topic: A General Request  (Read 963 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
A General Request
« on: Friday 20 January 17 01:58 GMT (UK) »
I would be interested to hear from anyone who lives near the West Sussex Record Office or who visits there and who could possibly help me with obtaining a copy of a couple of wills.

Many thanks

Matt

Online louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A General Request
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 February 17 15:43 GMT (UK) »
The Probate Department of the Principal
Registry of the Family Division
First Avenue House, 42 - 49 High Holborn, London, WC1V 6NP
Tel: 0207 421 8509
www.gov.uk/wills-probate-inheritance/searching-for-probate-records

I am sure you could contact the above to find if a will was lodged there, then purchase the said will, not sure how much they are now as it is sometime since I ordered one myself

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 February 17 23:58 GMT (UK) »
The Probate Department of the Principal
Registry of the Family Division
First Avenue House, 42 - 49 High Holborn, London, WC1V 6NP
Tel: 0207 421 8509
www.gov.uk/wills-probate-inheritance/searching-for-probate-records

I am sure you could contact the above to find if a will was lodged there, then purchase the said will, not sure how much they are now as it is sometime since I ordered one myself

Louisa Maud

Hiya

Thanks for the address. The Will in question was proved at the Consistory Court of Chichester and those Wills are held at the WSRO. I was hoping that someone who either lived near there or was planning a visit could obtain a copy for me as they charge a minimum copying fee of £6.00 which I thought I was a little much for one will.

The Family History Centre in London has the Wills on microfilm, but unfortunately for me it doesn't have the film that has this particular will on it. I can order it from the US but that costs £10 approx. However there are now another 3 Wills I want to get copies of so I will be ordering it direct from the WSRO once I check the references for the other Wills.

Anyhow

Many thanks again
Matt

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 07:04 GMT (UK) »
I was hoping that someone who either lived near there or was planning a visit could obtain a copy for me as they charge a minimum copying fee of £6.00 which I thought I was a little much for one will.

Wills from the Probate office cost £10 so £6 is quite good value. Maybe WSRO can give you a quote for the information you require as I see it is a minimum of £6.   ;D

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 March 17 23:33 GMT (UK) »
I was hoping that someone who either lived near there or was planning a visit could obtain a copy for me as they charge a minimum copying fee of £6.00 which I thought I was a little much for one will.

Wills from the Probate office cost £10 so £6 is quite good value. Maybe WSRO can give you a quote for the information you require as I see it is a minimum of £6.   ;D

Yes you're right about that. They've already said if I have other Wills I need copies of then I can get a quote from them to make sure I don't go over the £6. I was at the Family History Centre in London last week (and yesterday) and unfortunately they don't have four of the Wills I'm looking for and therefore I'll order those from the WSRO. Hopefully these 5 wills won't take me over £6, and if they come to less than £6 then I have some other records I'd like to get copies of.

Matt