Author Topic: How do you find out about a current will? death Jan 2017.  (Read 2637 times)

Offline MET128

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How do you find out about a current will? death Jan 2017.
« on: Friday 20 January 17 10:54 GMT (UK) »
I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I have traced a distant relative but she died at the beginning of this month before I had chance to meet her. She does not have any children or direct family still living and I am wondering if I can find out if she has left a will? She mentioned she had some photographs of my relatives and I hate to think that they are going to get binned in a house clearance or something.

Is there any way I could find out who the executors of her estate are?

Thanks for your help!

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: How do you find out about a current will? death Jan 2017.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 January 17 10:59 GMT (UK) »
The executors have to apply for probate before they can carry out the wishes in the will, but often houses are cleared before this, especially if it is rented accommodation. If you know where she lived why not send a letter there, addressed clearly to the executors or relatives?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MET128

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 January 17 11:02 GMT (UK) »
I do have her address but she was ill for a while and was being helped by a neighbour who did not want me to contact her.

I will try sending a letter but I am worried it will just be intercepted by the neighbour :-(  If it is then she will be unlikely to reply to me and I will have no way of knowing if the letter has been read or not?!

I know the lady was a home owner so there must be someone in charge of disposing of her estate?

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 January 17 11:20 GMT (UK) »
You could try contacting the funeral directors, they may have a name for you.  :-\
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 January 17 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately I don't think there is any way of finding out who the executors are until after they have applied for probate, then you can use the Government web site and even apply for the will.

I know that after my uncle by marriage died, the solicitor who was the executor, arranged for the house to be cleared very quickly. I was lucky as although I was named in the will, the contents were left to his blood nephew but I spoke to him and he allowed me to look through things and take anything belonging to my side of the family. A lot will depend who things have been left to.

https://www.gov.uk/search-will-probate
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MET128

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 January 17 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Such a shame.

I hate to think there my be documents or photos there relating to my family.

The neighbour won't have any interest in them and will probably just bin it all.

I presume she doesn't want me to get in touch as she thinks I am after money or something, but I am far too far down the tree for that!

I'm absolutely devastated I didn't get to meet her. She was my oldest living relative born early 30s. Soooo gutted I didn't get to speak to her.  I wish I had ignored the neighbour now and gone down to see her back in October when I first traced her! So frustrating :-(

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 January 17 11:54 GMT (UK) »
You could try contacting the funeral directors, they may have a name for you.  :-\

A few years back a distant relative died (only child, not married, no close relatives). I wrote a letter to 'the person sorting out things', put it in a blank, stamped envelope with my name and return address on it, brought it to funeral directors and asked if they could forward my letter to the person in charge of the funeral arrangements. The lovely receptionist rang the person who then gave permission for their name and phone number to be given to me. I rang and spoke to this (another) distant relative who had no interest in family history and said the house was full of old pictures (I suspect as much because deceased's grandmother had looked after her father in his last years). I was told a friend was clearing out the house and got his contact details.

Next, I rang the friend who invited me to his house to see all the pictures he'd saved. The sitting room was filled with boxes which he'd sorted and I was invited (well, begged almost) to take as many as I wanted as they were likely to get thrown out eventually. Came away with pictures of my mother-in-law as a young girl, her parents, etc. Also heard some lovely stories about the deceased  whom the friend had known since they were children.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 January 17 15:00 GMT (UK) »
We had a situation where a relation who was adopted out died. One of our family sent him a letter, before finding out he had died, trying to get in touch with him but unknown to us he had recently died. We found out he had died when the probate was being sorted out and the letter was found. They sent a copy of the will to our family telling us they were going to have the will proved. They didn't know at the time he was adopted out so were obliged to inform us. We knew from the will none of us were getting anything but it would have been nice to get some photos so we responded to the executors to maintain contact with them telling them who we were etc but they never had the decency to respond to us. We were happy with the will contents and were supportive towards them but they chose not to correspond with us further.

Blue

Offline MET128

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 January 17 15:09 GMT (UK) »
I found an announcement of her funeral online and so I have left a message with the funeral directors asking if he could pass my contact details on to the family. He didn't sound too thrilled at the prospect so I am not sure what sort of message they will get  ???

I also left a message on the online funeral advertisement leaving my email addess.

I guess I just have to cross my fingers and hope they get in touch...  :(