Author Topic: Billingshurst Parish Register Look up (1790-1810)  (Read 2988 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Billingshurst Parish Register Look up (1790-1810)
« on: Saturday 21 January 17 01:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi, hope someone can help here.

I'm looking for three christenings which I believe took place in Billingshurst in the 1790s and early 1800s. I have checked Familysearch with no luck for these people although I have found their siblings and other family members. If anyone has access to the PRs or BTs for Billingshurst and can check them I'd be very grateful. Please let me know if you can help and I will post the names of who I am looking for.

Thanks again

Matt

Offline alivin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Billingshurst Parish Register Look up (1790-1810)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 January 17 03:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm happy to help. Can check for baptisms at Billingshurst on the Sussex Family History Group baptismal index for you  :)

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 January 17 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt,
You are asking for so many Sussex look ups that maybe you do not know about the Sussex Family History Group website.  For a small subscription you could have the excitement of finding all your ancestors for yourself.  Much more rewarding.   http://sfhg.org.uk/

Offline alivin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 January 17 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Agree with Sillgen. Have found the subscription to the SFHG website great value for money, and the people there very helpful.

Also, have discovered that you can access images of many Sussex parish registers for free on FamilySearch (will need to register if you haven't already). Go to 'Search', and select 'Catalog'. Enter the name of the place you are searching for, and where it says 'Search these family history centers', select 'Online'. From there you can choose from a list of parish registers, documents, indexes etc pertaining to that place/parish. Some you can view images of the registers etc for free (but can't download), others you need to be a member of a supporting organisation (whatever that means!).

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 January 17 00:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt,
You are asking for so many Sussex look ups that maybe you do not know about the Sussex Family History Group website.  For a small subscription you could have the excitement of finding all your ancestors for yourself.  Much more rewarding.   http://sfhg.org.uk/

Hi

Yes I've already looked into that thanks. I apologise for having so many Sussex ancestors lol! Other than Kent I think Sussex is the county where the majority of my ancestors come from. It's just unfortunate that I don't live near Chichester otherwise I'd be going direct to the WSRO lol! I have a lot of wills I am trying to look into for people in Sussex but thankfully I can access these at the Family History Centre in London.

At the moment joining the SFHG isn't something I can afford to do financially, although it's something I'm looking into each month and I'll hopefully be able to join in Feb. It would be brilliant if I could access Sussex wills and tax/land records as well as parish records through them.

Thanks again
Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 January 17 00:47 GMT (UK) »
Agree with Sillgen. Have found the subscription to the SFHG website great value for money, and the people there very helpful.

Also, have discovered that you can access images of many Sussex parish registers for free on FamilySearch (will need to register if you haven't already). Go to 'Search', and select 'Catalog'. Enter the name of the place you are searching for, and where it says 'Search these family history centers', select 'Online'. From there you can choose from a list of parish registers, documents, indexes etc pertaining to that place/parish. Some you can view images of the registers etc for free (but can't download), others you need to be a member of a supporting organisation (whatever that means!).

Hi

Yes I've already found that out lol. I actually forgot that I had a log-in for the website but now have been able to check various records.

Matt

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Matt I have CD of st Mary's Billingshurst. Baptisms 1591-1886. Will look tomorrow if you want.
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Billingshurst Bts can be accessed via the catalogue on family search (enter Billingshurst in search box and then select church records followed by the bts. Scroll down until you see a camera icon, click on it and you can view all 966 images. It will ask you to sign in -if you do not have an account it is free!).

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 00:01 GMT (UK) »
Matt I have CD of st Mary's Billingshurst. Baptisms 1591-1886. Will look tomorrow if you want.

Hi

Thanks for that. I will let you know the names tomorrow. There are only a couple and [I think] I can give you approximate dates.

Matt