Author Topic: Looking for help to confirm a date of death for Susannah Wright (b.1850)  (Read 7560 times)

Offline SarahEliza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for help to confirm a date of death for Susannah Wright (b.1850)
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 22 January 17 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to everyone who have helped.

Offline Michelle Imms

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 01:08 BST (UK) »
I am so happy to find this thread! I am a direct blood relative of Susannah Wright through her eldest son with Otto Johannes Herrlich. I always wondered what happened to Susannah. I know from the last census records I have for her , she is living with her sister Sarah and her brother in law ( the Duke family) I know that Otto eventually married a German woman called Emilie and had a daughter called Olga, but I have no record of Susannah after this census. Does anyone know anything more about her life? I’ve always been intrigued by this great great great grandmother of mine who has an affair with a German man above her social station at the time and has a child out of wedlock with him. I’d love to know more! I do have some photos of her male decendets- her grandson and great grandson, who are my grandad and greatgrandad if anyone is interested in seeing them x

Offline SarahEliza

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 20 April 18 17:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Michelle,

I started this thread. Welcome to RootsChat. I'm fairly new to it myself. I'll send you a PM from here, if possible.

Offline Michelle Imms

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 10:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah! I’m so happy to have made a connection with you! We’ll have to work out our family relationship but we are definitely sharing the same genes!
 I’d love to show you the information I have found as well as family rumours that have been passed down! My email address is: Removed by Moderator
or you can find me on Facebook ‘Michelle Imms’ - I live in Preston, Lancashire but was born in Herne Hill. I’m excited to hear from you!
Michelle x

Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 13:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah!
I’m so happy to have made a connection with you! We’ll have to work out our family relationship but we are definitely sharing the same genes!

I’d love to show you the information I have found as well as family rumours that have been passed down!

Hi Michelle - your email address may be removed before SarahEliza reads your post

from the guidelines for posting  on Rootschat

"Please do not include personal contact details in postings.
This includes e-mail addesses, postal addresses, telephone numbers, etc.

The moderators will delete personal data.
Please use the Personal Messages (PM) system for exchanging personal data"

Make  3 posts and then you are able to use the PM (personal message) system - here's the link on how to use it http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
 :)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KJMstudio

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 29 October 21 04:19 BST (UK) »
Hi there!
I am grateful to find this thread.
Lucy Gilmore Wright (Susannah Wright’s daughter) is my great-great grandma (married William John Mitchell in Croyden, came to Canada in 1911 or so, passed away in Canada). I have had very little success searching her on Ancestry so this has been amazing to stumble upon.
I am curious about the “gilmore” middle name and about who her parents are.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 29 October 21 09:46 BST (UK) »
Hi KJMStudio

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

SarahEliza who started this topic should receive an email notification that you have posted and hopefully come back soon.

Dawn

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 29 October 21 10:12 BST (UK) »
Hi there!
I am grateful to find this thread.
Lucy Gilmore Wright (Susannah Wright’s daughter) is my great-great grandma (married William John Mitchell in Croyden, came to Canada in 1911 or so, passed away in Canada).

I have had very little success searching her on Ancestry so this has been amazing to stumble upon.

I am curious about the “gilmore” middle name and about who her parents are.

Hello and welcome to Rootschat  :)

Do you have her 1967 death certificate?

1967 Lucy’s death gives parents as Abel WRIGHT & Susan GILMORE,
spouse William John MITCHELL
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FLY9-DMT (no image)

1911 census Lucy MITCHELL her husband William and children are living in Croydon
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XW8V-9M7

Not sure if these were posted possible entry for Lucy's birth entry from GRO indexes and that of her sister Kate Gilmore Wright both mother's name have been left blank which would indicate illegitimate, Kate's baptism details on the thread show NO father named only mother Susannah WRIGHT

Just speculation perhaps Gilmore might be the surname of the father  :-\

WRIGHT, LUCY   -
GRO Reference: 1884  M Quarter in KINGSTON ON THAMES  Volume 02A  Page 357   

WRIGHT, KATE  GILMORE   -
GRO Reference: 1882  S Quarter in KINGSTON ON THAMES  Volume 02A  Page 352   

I don't know whether SarahEliza has either birth certificate of the girls to confirm the details or if she obtained the marriage entry posted by Rosie99 to check if she's the correct Susannah
Jun 1901   
Walters    Henry       
Wright    Susannah        
Croydon    2a   621

Hopefully when she receive these notifications she will be in touch and may be able to help you further.

EDIT to add these appear to be sons William & Roland's birth entry - also no mother's maiden name

WRIGHT, WILLIAM       - 
GRO Reference: 1880  S Quarter in KINGSTON ON THAMES  Volume 02A  Page 308

WRIGHT, ROWLAND       - 
GRO Reference: 1885  J Quarter in KINGSTON ON THAMES  Volume 02A  Page 330

Here's the link to GRO https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/login.asp it's free to search
but you have to register to do so

Offline SarahEliza

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 30 October 21 15:09 BST (UK) »
Hi KJMStudio,

Thank you for your message. Sorry for the delay in my response. I've just noticed it, because the email notification went to my junk mail. My great grandfather Otto Wright was the brother of Lucy Gilmore Wright. Their mother Susannah Wright had five children (Otto, William, Kate, Lucy and Roland). They all took their mother's surname (which was her maiden name), as she wasn't married when she had the children. My mum has always known that her grandfather Otto's parents were never married, but we didn't know much else (apart from some very basic details about Otto's father's background). Susannah is quite a mysterious figure and research has been quite challenging. On one of the census records, Susannah describes herself as the children's sister. On my great grandfather's birth certificate, Susannah gave the father's surname as Wright, but that isn't the case. She gives her maiden name as Smith and her married name as Wright on his birth certificate. Otto's father was a man called Otto Johannes Herrlich. However, I suspect that he was not Lucy's father due to the 'Gilmore' name, but he very well could be. To be honest, I suspect that the name 'Abel Wright' is probably a red herring either way. The census records suggest that Susannah lived very near to her sister and brother-in-law (the Dukes) for a while, who probably helped her with the children and I remember finding out that there was a Gilmore family living near to her at some point. Susannah moved around alot (according to the census records), but usually within the Surrey area. I'll have a look at the information I have over the next few days and I'll get back to you. I also have some photos of Otto as a young man. I'll try and send a private message via RootChat. It has been a while since I've used it.

Thanks again for your message,
Sarah
x