Author Topic: Lady of the Night Elizabeth A Hotton  (Read 3057 times)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lady of the Night Elizabeth A Hotton
« Reply #9 on: Monday 27 February 17 09:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heather

The plot thickens!

As far as I can see James Hotton and Elizabeth Kent also had the following children:

Desepha Oct - Dec 1850

Grace Jane Apr- Jun 1852

Olivia Jul- Sep 1854

James Apr - Jul 1856

There is a baptism for Desepha Haughton parents James Haughton and Elizabeth St Dennis 13 Oct 1850 while Grace,Olivia and James (as James Rasley) seem to have been baptised onthe same day 5 Sep 1858 but parents surname given as Hotton.

The 1861 census has the following - address Mount Charles

James Hotton 52 Labourer b St Austell
Elizabeth wife 44 b St Dennis
Grace 8
Olivia 6
James 4

They seem to be down as surname Haughton in the 1871 census and Houghton in 1881. Unfortunately I cannot see them at all in the 1851 census - it might be worth browsing the 1851 census pages for Charlestown to see if you can find them. ( Desepha seems to reappear in Yorkshire under married names Osbourne and then Hart -her second marriage is in the Yorkshire parish records).

I also note that there is a baptism for Elizabeth Kent 19 May 1816 St Dennis with parents William and Grace.

The likely marriage of James Hotton  and Elizabeth Kent is Jan- Mar 1845 St Austell. (An ancy.tree has Elizabeth's father as Richard Kent but there is no evidence that the marriage cert.has been obtained ). I think my next move would be to obtain the marriage cert for James Hotton and Elizabeth Kent - if I have understood it correctly the Gro pilot which is about to start would enable you to purchase it for £8. If the  cert shows that Elizabeth's father was William Kent then my hypothesis would be that Elizabeth Ann was brought up by her grandparents - hence her having William as her father's name on her marriage cert.

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 27 February 17 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Found a baptism for Elizabeth Ann Hotten - 6 July 1846 St Dennis parents James and Elizabeth...but then found this

Royal Cornwall Gazette 7 Dec 1865

Marriage At St Austell Dec 3 Mr Chas Trudgeon to Elizabeth Ann dau of James Hotten of Charlestown...You should be able to follow Charles and Elizabeth Ann Trudgeon from the 1871 census through to 1911.

Suspect this means you can ignore all of my last post - back to the drawing board  :-\

One thing to perhaps bear in mind is that there do seem to be a number of variations of the surname Hotton.

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline fizzybubble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Yes I think we can rule out Elizabeth born to mother Kent.

Fizzy
Cornwall - Mutton Brown Trevethan Mugford Higham
Yorkshire - Thirlwall

Offline fizzybubble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 23:57 GMT (UK) »
I removed this

Fizzy
Cornwall - Mutton Brown Trevethan Mugford Higham
Yorkshire - Thirlwall

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Previously known as "neb_maat_re".
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 27 June 17 04:29 BST (UK) »
Given the many variations in spelling of Hotton, could she possibly be Elizabeth Ann Richards Houghton, born St Columb Major in 1846?