Author Topic: Throphill??  (Read 2815 times)

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Throphill??
« on: Sunday 22 January 17 10:57 GMT (UK) »
I have an 1851 census for Samuel Sheldon of Yorkshire, and his birthplace is transcribed as 'Throphill'. I don't have knowledge of where this place is and can not find anything on the internet about it. I think the last part of the word is Hull but I'm not certain.

Beth
Bolingbroke (Norfolk & Suffolk) Chittleburgh (Yorkshire & Norfolk) Dawson (Essex & Hertfordshire) Donkin (Newcastle & Durham) Gregg (Lancashire & Cumbria) Johnson (Lancashire) Spalding (Norfolk) Stannard - (Essex & Norfolk)

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Throphill??
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 January 17 10:57 GMT (UK) »
I am uncertain how to attach an image on here..
Bolingbroke (Norfolk & Suffolk) Chittleburgh (Yorkshire & Norfolk) Dawson (Essex & Hertfordshire) Donkin (Newcastle & Durham) Gregg (Lancashire & Cumbria) Johnson (Lancashire) Spalding (Norfolk) Stannard - (Essex & Norfolk)

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 January 17 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 January 17 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply, I found his 1861 census and his birthplace is definitely 'Thorphill' - does anyone know where this is?

Beth

Offline hol

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 January 17 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Can you post when he was born and where he was in 51/61 census .
Might be able to trace a baptism that way.
Lee
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Atack,Earnshaw,Holroyd.Holroyde, Craven.Rangeley,Gledhill.Sheffield.Brearley,Walker West Yorkshire
Crowther,Hopley,Lane,Riding.   Horwich- Lancashire.

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 January 17 11:30 GMT (UK) »
He was baptised on 20 May 1821 at Holy Trinity, Rothwell, parents Major and Sarah Sheldon.

In 1851 he was living in Leeds St Andrew and in 1861 in Wortley near Leeds.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 January 17 11:32 GMT (UK) »
If anyone wants to look, it's at HO107/2321 fo105 p35. The surname appears to be written SHELDIN, though Ancestry have transcribed it as SHELDEN, and someone has given a correction of SHELDON.

They've also corrected Ancestry's "Throphill" to Thorphall, and looking at what's written, that seems reasonable. However, Thorp(e) is a very common place name element in Yorkshire, and you will probably need to look for other evidence (other censuses, marriage etc) to confirm this chap's origins.

This page at GENUKI - http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/Misc/Where/T.html - lists 4 places called Thorp(e) Hall in Yorkshire, taken from directories. However, they look like big houses, and unless he was born to one of the staff, they don't look the sort of place a forge man would be born. Besides the ones mentioned there, there may well have been other big houses or small communities near a hall in one of the many places called Thorp(e).

Late addition: I've now just seen your later post referring to Thorphill. How about Thorpe on the Hill in the parish of Rothwell (see the GENUKI page I've linked to)?

Further addition: bethanyyd96's find may support this.

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 January 17 11:34 GMT (UK) »
I've had a look at the original page for the 1851 and 1861 censuses and in both cases I think the birthplace is Thorphall  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 January 17 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Arthur, I have had a look at that link, and saw that one of them was in the parish of Whitkirk, which is where his mother died in 1830 (Thorpe-Stapleton)  ??? and as her death was only a few years from 1821 when Samuel was born, this seems plausible to me.

Beth