Author Topic: Julia CURTIS.1857.  (Read 11511 times)

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Julia CURTIS.1857.
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 03:41 GMT (UK) »
VIC death: 1924 #8501 Robert Leslie Schofield MOORE; Age 5; Brighton
Father-Aubrey Mervyn MOORE; Mother-Ivy (WESTWOOD)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 04:18 GMT (UK) »
Well found again, CoL.  Couldn't see it with my searching using A---y  >:( :( ::)

Leslie Neville MOORE b 1891, parents Thomas Leckenby MOORE and Julia Laura nee CURTIS.

Electoral roll:
From 1914 to 1925 he is with his parents at Lancox St Brighton
1926 at Belgrave with Jessie Meta MOORE (Belgrave is an outer Melbourne suburb)
1927-1931 at Ashburton (closer to city) with Jessie Meta MOORE
and then back to Brighton
1936, 1937 with Jessie Meta MOORE and his parents at 23 Landcox St, Brighton
1942 with Jessie Meta MOORE at Union St Brighton, clerk (His mother is at 2 Landcox St)
1949 with Jessie Meta MOORE at 2 Landcox St, Brighton, clerk
1963, with Agnes Rose MOORE at 2 Landcox St, Brighton, clerk
1967, 1968, 1972, 1977 at 2 Landcox St, Brighton, clerk
(Googlemap streetview shows 23 Landcox St has a new build now but 2 Landcox St looks original)

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ROBINHULL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Judb and CoL.
 :) :) :)
HULL LEICESTERSHIRE.
WASHBOURNE GLOUCS.

Offline Bullatale 1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Thursday 19 October 17 03:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Robin, you have been tracking Julia Curtis who arrived in Geelong 1857 and have found my ancestor Julia Curtis, mother of Julia Laura Moore, nee Curtis. Having looked at what you have found I am not sure that the Julia Curtis who arrived in 1857 is my GG Grandmother. Just a bit of information update I can give you which may be of some help but won't resolve the identity. My Grandmother Verna Muriel Moore, daughter of Thomas Lechenby Moore and Julia Laura Moore, nee Curtis died at age 35 from a secondary haemorrhage following an appendicectomy. Her 2 little boys, one being my father aged 5 and his little brother Malcolm age 2 then were sent to Brighton to live with their maternal grandparents and attend school. This was at "Lemerna" 2 Landcox Street Brighton. (point of interest Lemerna is a mix of Leslie, Mervyn and Verna's names). Also living at Lemerna at this time, were Julia Laura's maiden sister Gertrude (Constance Gertrude) and brother Herbert Henry. Dad says Auntie Gert mainly raised him and Mac. I have asked Dad if he has any knowledge of Julia Laura's parents or that of Thomas Moore's. He said he does not recall any thing being said or passed on about them, so the trail from our end stops here. We have also tried to find more information in official records and have had no further success than you. Julia Curtis who died at Hampton 1917 is buried at St Kilda cemetery with Ernest Edward, Albert Ernest, Herbert Henry and Constance Gertrude. Julia Laura is buried in Brighton cemetery with Thomas Moore and Verna Muriel. If we discover anything else we will post it. Cheers VMB

Offline ROBINHULL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Thursday 01 February 18 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bullatale1...
Sorry its taken so long to reply.
I have just logged into Rootschat for the first time in a long while and was surprised to see your message ...I must have missed that one.
At some stage I need to have a long look at Julia again and go through it all as its been put on the back burner while I take a look at another part of the family history ...!
What I read is that the Julia Curtis that arrived in 1857 in Geelong is not possibly your GG Grandmother...is that correct and so no connection with the Moores??
As I say I need to have another look at this??
Best Wishes
Rob
HULL LEICESTERSHIRE.
WASHBOURNE GLOUCS.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Friday 02 February 18 07:09 GMT (UK) »
A belated welcome to Rootschat, Bullatale 1.

How interesting to read about the later family. 

Julia certainly kept us busy in hunting for her.  As has been said before, (Reply #27) her death record does say that she was born in Leicestershire and that she had been in Victoria for 55 years which gives an arrival approx 1862, however all information would be hearsay, given that she was over 80 at the time of her death.  The Julia CURTIS who arrived 1857 was also from Leicestershire.

Just another snippet as every little helps - Julia (1857 arrival) was hired by C E Strutt, St Kilda after her arriavl.  Charles Edward STRUTT is recorded on the electoral roll in 1856 as a surgeon living in Boundary Rd, St Kilda which is now named Barkly St. So another (tenuous) co-incidence as Julia who was the mother of Julia Laura MOORE seems to have been living in Prahran (next suburb to St Kilda when her children were small. 

There is another 1856 Election Roll entry for a Charles Edward STRUTT, immigration agent having a freehold in Geelong.  A birth notice for a child to wife of C E STRUTT born in St Kilda in 1856 is printed in a Melbourne newspaper and the Geelong Advertiser, so he seems to have connections with both Melbourne and Geelong.

No extra help at all really except that there is still a possibility that Julia CURTIS - the mother of Julia Laura - may have arrived on the Admiral Boxer.  in 1857.

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Friday 02 February 18 07:28 GMT (UK) »

Just another snippet as every little helps - Julia (1857 arrival) was hired by C E Strutt, St Kilda after her arriavl.  Charles Edward STRUTT is recorded on the electoral roll in 1856 as a surgeon living in Boundary Rd, St Kilda which is now named Barkly St. So another (tenuous) co-incidence as Julia who was the mother of Julia Laura MOORE seems to have been living in Prahran (next suburb to St Kilda when her children were small. 

Judith

This item in 1855 is a letter from Chas E STRUTT, Assistant Immigration Commissioner  requesting information about single unemployed females.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/4813599

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ROBINHULL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Friday 02 February 18 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Judith...
Thanks once again for the research.
Julia certainly has been very interesting.
And no doubt more will come to light.
Thanks
Rob
HULL LEICESTERSHIRE.
WASHBOURNE GLOUCS.

Offline Bullatale 1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Friday 09 February 18 00:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rob and Judith,
I don't know when my GG Great grandmother arrived in Australia as there is no one left to pass on the information. My Julia Curtis mother of Julia Laura did certainly reside in Prahran with her children at one stage as Ernest Edward died there as an infant from diphtheria. We cannot find any reference to a father of her children other than his name Thomas Curtis, which is strange as her maiden name is also Curtis. 1857 Julia Curtis may be the same person but our family cannot shed any diffinitive evidence for this unfortunately.
Good luck with your hunting, regard VMB