Author Topic: Llyswen House, Brecon  (Read 3398 times)

Offline emjaye

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Llyswen House, Brecon
« on: Monday 23 January 17 04:55 GMT (UK) »
I have two records for baptisms in the parish of Llyswen for the years 1833 and 1834. The place of abode for the parents is given as Llyswen House, and the officiating minister is one William Williams.

Places of abode given for some of the adjacent baptisms on the same pages include:   Church House, Newgarden, Llangoed Castle and another which I can't quite decipher (see photo)

Would anyone have any information on the Rev Williams or any of these places. Thank you
milford, greenhalgh, childs, norman, (england) tripcony, drew, thomas, boddy (cornwall), hendry, harrold, riach, gray, grant (scotland)

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Llyswen House, Brecon
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 January 17 06:35 GMT (UK) »
I would say it was Brychfa. Brychfa is probably a version of "Brechfa" as in Brechfa Pool, Brechfa Common, which is near Llyswen see : http://map.coflein.gov.uk/index.php?action=do_advanced&pnmrsname=tir+gwallter&pnprn=&pclasssub=&pclassgrp=&pfreetext=&pperiod=&pcommunity=&pcouname=&poldcounty=&ngr=&radiusm=&submit=Search

Offline emjaye

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 January 17 07:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Sam. yes, I've looked at your map and have see The Shrubbery, which was also a nearby listed abode on the baptism records :)   Now to try to get a picture of Llyswen House if possible, lol.
milford, greenhalgh, childs, norman, (england) tripcony, drew, thomas, boddy (cornwall), hendry, harrold, riach, gray, grant (scotland)

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 January 17 12:23 GMT (UK) »
This wiki page about Llyswen may be of interest.  Incidentally, I live about five miles from Llyswen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llyswen

Regards
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline emjaye

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 January 17 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Greensleeves. Do you know if there is an Historical Society or Museum in Llyswen that I might contact?

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 08:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello Emjaye - I don't know if there is a historical society at Llyswen, but there is one at Talgarth, a few miles from Llyswen.  Their website is here:

http://www.tadhs.co.uk/

They also have a page on FB where you might be able to post a query.  In the meantime I've ask around here to see if anyone can answer your queries.

Regards
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling

Offline emjaye

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much, Greensleeves, I appreciate your efforts very much, and will follow up on your suggestion :)

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 18:26 GMT (UK) »
As a matter of interest, I came across this when googling 'Llyswen House'.  I think this might be  the same property, and the 'Hay' referred to is Hay-on-Wye which is about 7 miles from Llyswen, and would have been - and still is - the closest town to Llyswen itself.

Regards
GS

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 21:40 GMT (UK) »
The sequence of properties listed on the 1871 Census for Llyswen reads - " ... Upper House, Griffin Inn, Cross House, Llyswen House, Church House, ..."

You can see Upper House and Griffin Inn on this 1887 map - leading north to the cross road and church.
http://maps.nls.uk/view/101605139