Author Topic: Anna Mary Curtis in 1911 please? Born Hannah Mary Hood at Selby 1850  (Read 2385 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Anna Mary Curtis in 1911 please? Born Hannah Mary Hood at Selby 1850
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 10:36 BST (UK) »
Looks like the mystery is solved ...

The Curtis had changed their surname to Grove, see the page here
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=756955.msg6308567#msg6308567

A Warrant had been issued for the arrest of John Conway Curtis, published in 1880.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Looks like the mystery is solved ...

The Curtis had changed their surname to Grove, see the page here
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=756955.msg6308567#msg6308567

A Warrant had been issued for the arrest of John Conway Curtis, published in 1880.

Hello

Interesting Anna Mary Curtis (born Hannah Mary Hood of Selby) and Mr Curtis who were on the run from the Police at Moor Street, Birmingham in 1880, should use the surname Grove, in London?

Because in 1781 on page 54 of the 'London Directory' section of:-
Bailey's Northern Directory, or, Merchant's and Tradesman's Useful Companion, For The Year 1781.

In 1781 there was a company called Grove and Hood, Merchts. 4 Crosby Square, Bishopsgate Street

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=jqBVAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA54&lpg=PA54&dq=%22London+Directory%22+%22Grove+and+Hood%22&source=bl&ots=sJoz4SbzYh&sig=VqhuKonDfb6izvYwsff92dVugwU&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj375vt8tHeAhXlDsAKHVrZCRMQ6AEwAHoECAAQAQ

I'm left wondering if Hood of Grove and Hood, Merchants, in 1781, might be related to my brickwall ancestor George Hood of Selby, or a coincidence that Curtis should assume the surname Grove, out of the blue about 100 years later?

London Gazette 1835 (with reference to William Hood & Sarah Grove in 1816)
William Hood ... Sarah Grove ... Widow ... Merchants and Bankers (lately carrying on trade in Crosby-Square aforesaid, under the firm, of John Hood and Company ...

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=1A1KAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA302&lpg=PA302&dq=1835+%22William+Hood%22+%22Sarah+Grove%22&source=bl&ots=Ga39-e0ZIs&sig=cCZwhTkV7__Eawmn50u_U0pGGz0&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwit1ZCNgdLeAhVMD8AKHWh2BfoQ6AEwAHoECAQQAQ

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 19:54 GMT (UK) »
1806 The European Magazine, and London Review, Volume 49
Monthly Obituary (May?)
24. At Newington, Mr. John Hood, of Crosby square.

Another says:-
At his house at Newington Green, John Hood, esq. principal of the old respectable house in Crosby Square ; whose integrity, goodness of heart, and urbanity of manners, endeared him to all who knew him.

About time some of these old Hood obits cut out the nice words and name who is kin, any children and where.

Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi

His Will was quite revealing in regards to kin

“I John Hood of Newington Green do give and bequeath to my dearly beloved consort Elizabeth daughter of the late John Holton of Colebrook Co. Salop a third of what I may be possessed of at the time of my decease along with all furniture.”

Nothing else written apart from to say it was written by him.

The Will was examined by two bankers from Lombard Street (John Smith and Wm Remington) who declared the Will to have been written by the deceased John Hood.

The estate was administered by William Hood the natural born brother and one of the next of kin after being sworn duly after no executor or residual legatee being named in the Will and Elizabeth Hood widow of the deceased after having first ? the letters of Administration with Will annexed.

Claire  ;)
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Thank you Claire.

Salop does not ring any bells yet, with my family.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 14 December 18 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi

His Will was quite revealing in regards to kin

“I John Hood of Newington Green do give and bequeath to my dearly beloved consort Elizabeth daughter of the late John Holton of Colebrook Co. Salop a third of what I may be possessed of at the time of my decease along with all furniture.”

Nothing else written apart from to say it was written by him.

The Will was examined by two bankers from Lombard Street (John Smith and Wm Remington) who declared the Will to have been written by the deceased John Hood.

The estate was administered by William Hood the natural born brother and one of the next of kin after being sworn duly after no executor or residual legatee being named in the Will and Elizabeth Hood widow of the deceased after having first ? the letters of Administration with Will annexed.

Claire  ;)

Hello

Investigating those Smith, Bankers of Lombard Street.

Claire some of the Smith Bankers of Lombard Street, were QUAKERS ...

QUAKER, Joseph Smith (1742 to 1813, per Edw H. Milligan, 2007, 606 pages), accepted bills of YORKSHIRE manufacturers and was at one time an Underwriter at Lloyds, becoming a wealthy respected banker in Broad Street.

Mr Milligan also mentions the above Joseph Smith, was not to be confused with Thomas Smith (1725 to 1792) of Smith, Wright & Gray, Bankers, Lombard Street.

QUAKER, Thomas Smith (1725 to 1792), Silversmith and Banker, was born at Southwark, London 13 vii 1725 [September 1725 per Milligan, so must be the old Quaker Month dating system in use] and a Clerk for Henton Brown & Co., Lombard Street, later commencing as a Silversmith, Lombard Street. Thomas Smith teamed up with John Wright and Henry Gray, as partners to form bankers Smith, Wright & Gray, Lombard Street. Married in 1758 to Elizabeth Underwood.

Looks like John Smith, Banker, Lombard Street, one of the men who confirmed the Will to be that of John Hood and this John Hood might be linked to Quakers!

The County of Salop, is apparently now in, or is Shropshire.

----------

However, by 1816 William Hood of Crosby Square in the City of London and Sarah Grove of Taunton Somerset, Widow, Merchants and Bankers (carrying on trade in Crosby Square under the firm of John Hood and Company) were subject to a Commission of Bankruptcy and the Last Examination of the Effects and Estate of Wm Hood one of the said Bankrupts was to take place on 10th August.

The 1816 Notice also gives notice for Creditors who have not already proved their debts to come forward to prove them and giving notice for anyone to assent to or dissent from the allowance of his Certificate [of Conformity].

It seems they were Bankrupt on the one hand, but being cleared in the same Notice, provided nobody dissented from the allowance of his Certificate.

TNA, Kew, B 3/5510 William Hood and Sarah Grove of Crosby Square, London ...
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C481644

Mark