Author Topic: Youngs,Sanderson, Newlands and West Linton  (Read 4128 times)

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Youngs,Sanderson, Newlands and West Linton
« Reply #9 on: Monday 31 December 18 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately I cannot find a record for Barbara but I think your thoughts on James & Janet being the likely parents are correct.

I'm not sure from your post if you have identified a record for Alexander?
ALEXANDER STEWART parents ALEXANDER STEWART/JEAN FINLAY
12/04/1778 Inveresk and Musselburgh, if not seems likely.

David's middle name of Muir might indicate an earlier ancestor.

The records for Janet Sanderson seem likely but which one?
James Young might be more difficult.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline nikitah

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 31 December 18 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you ColC, yes you are right about Barbara, I have searched for years, the only confirmation I have for her parents is her death certificate from S P, I'm glad you believe  Alexander's parents to be Alexander Stewarts  and Jean Finlay I came to the same conclusion, I must get my info out because if my memory serves me right I took them back a couple of more generation definitely the Finlay branch I remember confusion of how many different ways it could be spelt. I thought that David Muir could be a throw back but haven't found it yet, but then I wonder about Barbara/ Barbary, Alexander Stewart and Barbara Young called their daughter Barbara, they had a Jean, after Jean Finlay and Janet after Janet Sanderson Barbara was the third , so was she just named after her own mother i e Barbara Young?. I think I will concentrate on the David Muir, see if that brings anything up , thank you for your help and interest, Nikitah. and a happy new year to you all :) 

Offline nikitah

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 01 January 19 18:57 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure if this should be here but its a continuation of the above, so, I have the baptism of Barbara Stewart 26 May 1818 @ Penicuick, father Alexander, Mother Barbara Young, witt' James Young and Androw Young. Then the birth  of Alexander Stewart 25 March 1798, baptised 12 April 1798, father Alexander Stewart mother Jean Finlay @ Inveresk + Musselburgh, witt' Willm Mackie and Willm Hamilton. ---then the marriage of Alexander Stewart to Jean Finlay @ St Cuthbert's , Alexander Stewart wood sawyer  in Nicholas street, and Jean Finlay lawful daughter to Richard Finlay labourer at Giffordhall, October 12 1775, then I found a birth for Jean Finlay August 6th 1749, Father Richard Finlay mother Janet Blackie @ Yester, that led me to the marriage of Richard Finlay and Janet Blackie @ Haddington 26 May 1738, I found these children for Richard and Janet,----Thomas 5 August 1739 @ Haddington.  Ann 20 September 1741 Haddington, Frances 27 July 1746 @ Morham, Finlay spelt Finly and mothers name spelt Jannet Blacky. it looks like Jean Finley was a twin to Richard both born? baptised 6 August 1749 at Yester. no further forward with the Stewart's or Young's though. Hope this help someone, Nikitah